Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Questions about penalties for driving under suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

straker

I have had 2 DUIs, one in Sept 07 the other Jan 09. After the 2nd my license was suspended for 5 years. I am off probation, have taken DUI school, etc. I attempted to apply for the supervision program to get a hardship license but was rejected. I am curious what the typical penalties might be if I were to be caught driving. Not driving drunk, but just driving without a valid license, I've learned my lesson on the drunk driving. I'm not driving now, I've driven maybe twice since I got the 2nd DUI, but I'm considering getting a cheap car and in order to asses whether it is worth the risk I'd like to get a better idea of what I might be facing if I were caught driving. I've looked at the statute and it said max 500 dollar fine and 60 days in jail. The fine doesn't worry me but the jail time does as I'm fairly certain I would lose my job if they found out. Given my history what would I typically be looking at for a first offense driving under suspension? Would they be likely to make me do jail time or do most fist offenders get off with fines/probation? Please no judgement, I know I've made mistakes and I take responsibility for them. I am trying to get my life back on track, after the 2nd DUI I managed to go back and graduate college and now work a pretty good job. Thanks in advance for your time and advice

I have had 2 DUIs, one in Sept 07 the other Jan 09. After the 2nd my license was suspended for 5 years. I am off probation, have taken DUI school, etc. I attempted to apply for the supervision program to get a hardship license but was rejected. I am curious what the typical penalties might be if I were to be caught driving. Not driving drunk, but just driving without a valid license, I've learned my lesson on the drunk driving. I'm not driving now, I've driven maybe twice since I got the 2nd DUI, but I'm considering getting a cheap car and in order to asses whether it is worth the risk I'd like to get a better idea of what I might be facing if I were caught driving. I've looked at the statute and it said max 500 dollar fine and 60 days in jail. The fine doesn't worry me but the jail time does as I'm fairly certain I would lose my job if they found out. Given my history what would I typically be looking at for a first offense driving under suspension? Would they be likely to make me do jail time or do most fist offenders get off with fines/probation? Please no judgement, I know I've made mistakes and I take responsibility for them. I am trying to get my life back on track, after the 2nd DUI I managed to go back and graduate college and now work a pretty good job. Thanks in advance for your time and advice

You don't get it.

I'm not being critical, I'm just being honest.

You have lost your driving privileges.

Yet, you admit to driving without your license at least TWO times in the past.

That is not smart, and can cost you more than you can ever pay.

This isn't about driving under the influence, now.

It is about completing your sentence, and enduring the FIVE additional years suspension of your driving privileges.

If you managed to acquire a car, how do you propose getting it insured?

You can't without a license.

If you manage to obtain a car and get it insured, IF you're cited; the truth will come crumbling down all about you.

Your insurer will rescind the policy and you'll be cited for NO INSURANCE and NO LICENSE and your suspension will be LENGTHENED and you'll end up in a county jail (if not a state prison).

Dismiss these thoughts immediately from your mind.

The ONLY legal way out of your situation is to allow TIME to pass.

If you try to skate around the rules, you'll get caught when you least want to get caught.

Think about it this way.

The two times you got popped for drunk driving weren't the ONLY two times you drove drunk.

You got caught then, you'll get now (eventually)!!!!

Last edited:
The financial penalty for driving without a license is probably a few hundred dollars, increasing with each violation. getting caught driving without a license will also increasea the time it takes for you to get a valid license. You will also run the risk of having the vehicle towed every time you get caught.

It is not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back