Question about legal guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.

groggnap

My ex-wife and I were divorced in July 2005. We have two kids, now aged 17 (son) and 15 (daughter). My ex was granted custody of the kids during the divorce but in September 2005 my daughter moved in with me due to conflicts between her and her mom. My son still lives with her.

My daughter has had a problem with some drug abuse and we have had her in outpatient therapy and NA meetings. She has done well but recently relapsed. We met with her counselor tonight to discuss her future path for treatment. My ex told all of us during the discussion that HER plan was to send my daughter off to out-of-state inpatient treatment for 3 months and when she got back my daughter was going to move in with HER parents to go to a different school in a different town (75 miles away) to get away from everything. We never changed legal custody of my daughter after she moved in with me and my ex now says she can send her away if she wants because she is the legal guardian and if she wants to send her away she can. Of course, we all want my daughter to get well but even the counselor didn't think that was what was needed right now. My ex said she can arrange to have my daughter picked up and hauled away and there's nothing legally I can do about it since she is the legal guardian.

My question is: since my daughter has lived with me for the last 2 years (with her mom getting her every other weekend) do I have a right to stop her from hauling her off to a treatment center without any input from me?

Thanks for any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back