Question about grandparents rights intact family

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonga

I really need any advice I can get. My husband and I stopped allowing his mother to contact us or our kids several years ago. She continually made our daughter (now 16) cry. She also constantly tried to manipulate our lives. If my husband, for example, did not answer her calls at work she would call repeatedly, going so far as to call his boss repeatedly demanding to speak to him. This could have cost him his job. If we tried to set up any boundaries, she would become irate and call every relative to tell them we were abusing her. She spread terrible lies about us. My daughter got to the point where she refused to go anywhere with her grandmother because she said that she was "mean." It turned out that my mother in law had repeatedly demanded information about our son who is developmentally delayed and has a neurological disorder. When my daughter (10 at the time) told her there was nothing new and to ask us about it, she accused my daughter of "hiding things from her" and told her "it wasn't nice to keep things from grandma." She has a great public image, but she is horrible behind closed door. Two different times she tried to give our daughter who has a life threatening allergy to dairy, milk. She succeeded once and my daughter became seriously ill. She didn't believe me when I told her about the allergy and told my daughter "what mommy doesn't know won't hurt her." We are moving back to NY state to a town about 4 hours from my mother in law's. we have been told that because she had a prior relationship with our kids, she is going to sue us for grandparents rights. We are an intact family but supposedly that does not matter in NY. We are so worried right now. Her public self is so different from the way she treats family that it has us scared. My husband's brother cut her off years ago, but he lives in CT and the laws are different from NY. What are her rights? We have been told NY favors the grandparent.
Thank you for any help.

It's not so much that NY favors the grandparent (no state can do that, constitutionally). It's that NY along with one or two other states (PA is one), does place great stock on the preserved relationship between children and their grandparents.

If you're served with a suit, you're going to NEED an attorney to defend against it.

Now with that said...where do you CURRENTLY live, because you mention moving back to NY?

It's not so much that NY favors the grandparent (no state can do that, constitutionally). It's that NY along with one or two other states (PA is one), does place great stock on the preserved relationship between children and their grandparents.

If you're served with a suit, you're going to NEED an attorney to defend against it.

Now with that said...where do you CURRENTLY live, because you mention moving back to NY?

Since OP mentions that her oldest is 16, she will have slightly less to worry about. The older the child is in a gpv case, the more their desires are listened to. If the 16 year old wants nothing to do with her grandmother, the court is not going to force a relationship. With that said, I still wouldn't want to give false hope to the OP and tell her this: If you are served with a petition, AGREE to NOTHING. Make the courts decide on the merits of the case. Get an attorney, esp if grandma has one. Lastly, pm me, if nothing else, I know a good support group and would be happy to talk with you and lead you in the direction of other who can as well.

In NY, a grandparent can petition family court for visitation, but they do not have the right to receive it. A judge will review the case to see if the children will benefit from visitation with the grandparent-based on past relationship and other circumstances. For more information on grandparent's rights, visit the NYS Navigator at www.nysnavigator.org or call 1-877-454-6463: the organization provides information and referral regarding kinship care in NYS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back