Question about Child Support Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailey

Hi,

I have a 2 part question regarding the state of California child support laws:

1) If someone takes responsibility for a child at birth, and is later determined not to be the biological father, is that person still legally responsible to take care of that child until the child is 18?

2) If the father of the child is a legal adult over the age of 18, but still lives at home with his parents, if his parents give him money which he turns around and uses on the child, can the parents of the father (grandparents of the child) be held responsible for any child support of the child since their money was funding the child's lifestyle? And if this is true and they can be sought for support, if the adult male is found not to be the father of the child are the parents of said male, still responsible for any support payments?

Have I confused anyone yet. ;)

I'd really appreciate any information I can get. I only have until July to figure this out.

Thank you in advance,

Hailey

Last edited:
Well, you've confused me hehe

I saw a case a lot like this one.

If the father, who thought he was the father, was tricked into this, then it's quite possible you will be responsible to pay back any child support paid.

That is, if you knew one guy wasn't the father, yet led him to believe it. His attorney would have a hard time proving that you knew, and he didn't though.

If he did know, and treated the child as his, it's possible he won't be responsible for future support, but will not be re-imbursed for past support.

As far as hitting the grandparents up for support, I'm not sure of this.

In WV, the father is repsonsible for a percentage of child support. If the father is still single, and not working, the court should still hold him responsible for a percentage of child support. They will order him to find a job ASAP, and he will go in arears for any ammount that was awarded, but not paid. The other side to this, if you have a good job, and he's not working, you will be paying the highest percentage of support, so it may not even be worth messing with. I have a co-worker that had the father of her twins, file all his income under his parents, and she's an RN. She was awarded a whoppin' 30 dollars a month... So it may get you a little help, but could just cost you a bit for a lawyer.

Say the father had re-married, and wasn't working...

If it's proven that the father is being supported by his spouse, and only not working, to avoid support, the spouse's income can be treated as his.

*Tried to be as informitive as possible, please don't see this as sound advice though!!! 0_o Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back