Purchased car no title Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jurisdiction
New Jersey
My stupidity, i purchased a car today for 5k cash, owner said they will pay off the lien and
send me a clear title. I took possession of the car today also. The mother and son of the person i purchased the car from called me and said you have been scammed. They said your 5k is gone and she sent it to some other scammer in another country and she owes 9k on the car not 5k.
They want to come and pick up the car. I said not unless your giving me my 5k back. They said they don't have that kind of money.
My next step is to call the police tomorrow.
What else can i do to get my 5k back.

You need to find out who the titled owner is of the car. If the title is in the name of the person you bought it from then your beef is with him/her and nobody else is entitled to the car. The police are likely to do nothing but tell you it's a civil matter. You can sue that person for your money back. Good luck with that.

If the titled owner is not the person who sold you the car then you are in receipt of stolen property and all the police will do is take it away from you and return it to its rightful owner. Then you still get to sue the seller for your money back if he doesn't end up in jail first.

How'd you make out with the last guy that suckered you? You ever get any money out of him?

Beneficiary changed

You need to find out who the titled owner is of the car. If the title is in the name of the person you bought it from then your beef is with him/her and nobody else is entitled to the car. The police are likely to do nothing but tell you it's a civil matter. You can sue that person for your money back. Good luck with that.

If the titled owner is not the person who sold you the car then you are in receipt of stolen property and all the police will do is take it away from you and return it to its rightful owner. Then you still get to sue the seller for your money back if he doesn't end up in jail first.

How'd you make out with the last guy that suckered you? You ever get any money out of him?

Yep... You need to go to the DMV right away. In the mean time, keep the vehicle secured in a garage or somewhere that it isn't likely to drive away in the middle of the night.
If you were scammed then the name on the bill of sale isn't going to have the right name on it.

I suggest that you don't call but go to the police station and as to speak with one of the detectives. Bring your bill of sale, any bank withdrawal receipts, and the car.

This is a crime not just a civil matter.
I disagree. The OP bought a car that was financed by the seller. The seller is supposed to pay off the loan, obtain the title and then give said title to the OP. Now, two unrelated (to the business transaction) parties are trying to take the car away from the OP. It's just as possible that these two people are trying to scam the OP. This all happened in the last 24 hours. The OP's first step should be to contact the SELLER and figure out what's going on. Going to the police is premature.

EDIT: I do agree that a crime occurred if the seller of the vehicle was not the owner of the vehicle.

I do agree that a crime occurred if the seller of the vehicle was not the owner of the vehicle.

Could also be a crime if the owner intended to commit fraud. But we don't know that yet.

First step - DMV.

Then police if appropriate.

Could also be a crime if the owner intended to commit fraud. But we don't know that yet.

First step - DMV.

Then police if appropriate.

It would be fraud if the seller isn't the owner of the vehicle. It would be a civil matter if the seller is the owner of the car but fails to perform per the contract.

First step: Seller for proof of payoff of the loan and transmission of title.
Second step: Wait, DMV, or police (based on response from seller).

The mother and son of the person i purchased the car from called me and said you have been scammed. They said your 5k is gone and she sent it to some other scammer in another country and she owes 9k on the car not 5k.

Well if the mother and son of the person the car was purchased from and now the mother is saying that she owes 9K on the loan, doesn't it stand to reason that the person that OP purchased the car from is not the owner?

Actually, none of that makes any real sense if she is admitting that she sent the money to another country. She is admitting to a crime.

The police can look up the VIN and know if the bill of sale was signed by the owner or not.

Well if the mother and son of the person the car was purchased from and now the mother is saying that she owes 9K on the loan, doesn't it stand to reason that the person that OP purchased the car from is not the owner?

Actually, none of that makes any real sense if she is admitting that she sent the money to another country. She is admitting to a crime.

The police can look up the VIN and know if the bill of sale was signed by the owner or not.
I can see your confusion because of the OP's extensive use of pronouns. The OP bought the car from a female. The "she" (They said your 5k is gone and she sent it to some other scammer in another country and she owes 9k on the car not 5k) used by the OP refers to the seller, not the seller's mother. Having said that, the seller's mother and son are NOT the parties involved in the sale. They are the two unrelated parties that I was referring to. The OP should NOT act on information received from them without further research.

Why would a con artist admit to the con?

Why would a con artist admit to the con?
A con artists wouldn't...but an honest seller who has relatives with a bone to pick would likely take all steps possible to prove their own honesty.

Or, OP buys car from the daughter of the mother (referred to) and she did not own the car. The mother did.

Or, OP buys car from the daughter of the mother (referred to) and she did not own the car. The mother did.

That is also possible - but the situation was covered in my earlier reply as well.

A con artists wouldn't...but an honest seller who has relatives with a bone to pick would likely take all steps possible to prove their own honesty.

No one but a fool would try to prove his or her innocence.

In our system of justice, the state is required to prove your guilt.

Any attempt to exonerate oneself will be futile, and often results in inculpating your own carcass.

No one but a fool would try to prove his or her innocence.

In our system of justice, the state is required to prove your guilt.

Any attempt to exonerate oneself will be futile, and often results in inculpating your own carcass.
I was referring to the seller attempting to prove to the OP that she is "innocent" of the things claimed by the two uninvolved parties. I agree that, in the justice system, it is uncommon for one to attempt to prove their innocence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back