PTO and overtime issue

My friend, I'm begging you, as one that litigated a case similar to yours, (in a state not as friendly to employees as yours, at a time when these cases were very hard to litigate), see at least three lawyers in your vicinity.

After you've had those consultations, you'll know what is and isn't relevant before the federal bar, a California court, or a California administrative body.

There's no way you could reveal enough detail in public for me to say definitively.
In a private consultation, you will be able to do that and more.

A trail of bread crumbs is always left in cases like yours.
One crumb often left intact is the title an employee held before the "changes" were made.
That title is far more significant to a federal judge or federal jury than I once imagined.
We had many such crumbs, like my dad being evicted from his office because he wouldn't resign.
His reward was to have his desk placed in a hallway outside of his office.
That ploy failed, so they had his desk removed, leaving him with a chair.
My dad, stubborn old cuss, simply purchased himself a desk and more comfortable chair; and made himself a very nice office in the hallway (even bought himself a potted palm tree, LOL).

We found many more crumbs, and who knows, there could be many more crumbs left behind in your case.

When you find a lawyer, I'd even be willing to share with him or her our trial and appellate strategies.
The employer appealed, which delayed dad's eventual full reinstatement, award of back pay, promotions, and we eventually settled for seven figure buyout on his behalf.
You seem like the type of employee that has nothing but glowing reviews and comments in his personnel file.
Your diligence and professionalism, even in the face of possible abuse and discrimination reaps dividends, too.

Reducing your wages is not illegal. You have fewer responsibilities with less employees to manage so you would be hard pressed to even claim the reduction was not justified. ...

LOL. My responsibilities increased because now I have to do all the work that the third person was doing. Clearly you have a myopic view of life. Have you ever actually worked for a living?

You might want to keep in mind that everyone here is a volunteer and most do so out of the desire to assist individuals such as yourself, out of their extensive work/life experience. You my dear, are only seeing your side of the issue(which is understandable) however there is another side.

People are trying to get you to understand that although it my stink, and it may be unfair, it may not be illegal.

You can get an attorney, you can file a complaint with DOL, or you can talk to your employer and try to resolve the matter. There isn't much more to say.

You might want to keep in mind that everyone here is a volunteer and most do so out of the desire to assist individuals such as yourself, out of their extensive work/life experience. You my dear, are only seeing your side of the issue(which is understandable) however there is another side.

People are trying to get you to understand that although it my stink, and it may be unfair, it may not be illegal.

You can get an attorney, you can file a complaint with DOL, or you can talk to your employer and try to resolve the matter. There isn't much more to say.

That's reasonable. I feel like some of the replies were more akin to personal attacks that a "desire to assist". maybe it was just my interpretation.

That's reasonable. I feel like some of the replies were more akin to personal attacks that a "desire to assist". maybe it was just my interpretation.

Think of it this way, OP.
You're at a gathering of friends. You're having a grand time discussing baseball, BBQ, holidays, birthdays, golf, fishing, or anything people enjoy. All of those present share their deals and thoughts, because all feel passionately about TOPIC XXXXX.

That my friend is kinda how this site works. We often disagree, but each contributor has valid points to offer, ultimately our posters make their choice. What really makes it work is a topic such as yours. Just look at how many of us had something to offer.

I enjoy the friendly interaction amongst us all. Some posters seek a yes or no answer, and that's what we avoid doing. I think of us as living a encyclopedia. We offer up information, the poster must decide how best to use it, or not. Unlike a true reference collection, we all come tainted, each with her or his unique life experience.

On second thought, maybe we're more like a human Wikipedia. LOL

Last edited:
Back