Property after divorce

R

rmull

Jurisdiction
Washington
I am divorced and on the decree it says I will pay a self storage fee. I've been paying, but now it has a lien and the storage mgt won't talk with me because I'm not listed as an authorized user. I don't want the storage and told my ex that I will pay any necessary fees and then close the storage account and they could keep and move all property somewhere else or take over payments. My ex now said she is involving a lawyer, and not sure what my legal rights are?

I am divorced and on the decree it says I will pay a self storage fee. I've been paying, but now it has a lien and the storage mgt won't talk with me because I'm not listed as an authorized user. I don't want the storage and told my ex that I will pay any necessary fees and then close the storage account and they could keep and move all property somewhere else or take over payments. My ex now said she is involving a lawyer, and not sure what my legal rights are?

I reckon if you're going to pay for something, you made a mistake by not having your name listed on the agreement for the storage.

The only way the storage facility placed a lien on the unit is because someone failed to make several, yes several, not just one payment.

This isn't about your rights.

This is about you failing to meet your obligations.

Until the lawyer contacts you, you'll be as uninformed as I am because you failed to place your name on the contract.

When the time comes to litigate or address this, it might behoove you to be ready to pay all unpaid fees.

However, if you've been paying your former spouse, who has been squandering the money you paid her for the fees, you prove it to the court by bringing proof of the payments made to your former spouse, and asking her lawyer why she failed to use the money for the purpose the court intended it to be used.

You might even be able to make the argument that you no longer need to make those payments because she's irresponsible and reckless.

Back