Proof of Name Change by Marriage for 1961 Hague Convention Countries

Tammy Homsi

Jurisdiction
California
My husband and I are contracting a surrogate in the country of Georgia. They asked for copies of our marriage certificate and passport photos, but then took issue that my last name is not the same on my passport (married name) than on my marriage certificate (maiden name). We live in Los Angeles now, but were married in PA. The surrogacy agency keeps saying I need to do a "Petition for Name Change," which I have been told by the courthouse in PA where we were married, the courthouse in Harrisburg, and the local Soc Sec office that this NOT the correct route, that in the U.S., name change is proved by the marriage license. I have submitted 2 copies of our marriage license to the PA Dept of State for apostille (Hague Convention-approved legitimization specifically for Georgia) however, the surrogacy agency stated this is not legitimate proof because the marriage license doesn't say I'm the same person with both names. I called the local Soc Sec office where we were married to get a copy of the SS-5 form that I filled out to change my name through them, however, I was told the original document was shredded within weeks of their receipt of it. How do I obtain a legal document stating I am who I am, without completing the "The Petition for Name Change" and what is the document called, if it's not the "Petition for Name Change?" Thank you!

How do I obtain a legal document stating I am who I am, without completing the "The Petition for Name Change" and what is the document called, if it's not the "Petition for Name Change?"

I suggest you discuss your isdues/concerns with a reputable attorney licensed to practice in the Sovereign nation of Georgia.

Why Georgia?

The federal and state authorities in the USA already KNOW exactly who and what you are.

Your stumbling block appears to fabricated by the nation of Georgia's laws, legal customs, and business practices.

In the USA, spouses can exchange names, keep their existing name, or use a hyphenated name.

Today we take no notice of gender, as both spouses entering the marital corporation are treated equally.

Perhaps you could explore surrogacy in other nations, or even the US states or territories.

That seems much more efficient than being forced to beat your head against a brick wall.

You're apparently NOT having any issues within the USA.

Your problem seems to be with customs and practices regarding name changes in the nation of Georgia.

Your surrogacy contract seems to be modeled under Georgian laws, not the laws of the USA.

You provide the Georgian agency with everything they require, otherwise the contract will never come to fruition.

When in Rome, do as the Romans, not the Senegalese, Norwegians, or Mexicans; only as the Romans do.

My husband and I are contracting a surrogate in the country of Georgia.

Why are you contracting with a woman in Georgia (as opposed to someone in California) for this?

How do I obtain a legal document stating I am who I am, without completing the "The Petition for Name Change" and what is the document called, if it's not the "Petition for Name Change?"

If there is some agency based in a foreign country who is insisting on documentation you don't have, then all that matters is what that agency wants. The hassles you are dealing with suggest that you'd be far better off finding someone in California (or at least in the U.S.) for this.

Perhaps you could explore surrogacy in other nations, or even the US states or territories.

Perhaps even the US state of Georgia, rather than the country of Georgia!

P. S. My ex-spouse is from the former Eastern Bloc, and was unable to establish our child's dual citizenship, due to our documents being only a "copies" - mind you, official "copies" was issued the municipalities in the US, with the official embossed seal and clerk's signature. The ex-spouse could not get them to accept that this is was an official document and that it would not be legal for us to swipe the original records from city hall. Then again, knowing my ex, it is possible that the ex missed a critical step or two. But that just underscores the need for competent experienced legal contacts.

Why are you contracting with a woman in Georgia (as opposed to someone in California) for this?

If there is some agency based in a foreign country who is insisting on documentation you don't have, then all that matters is what that agency wants. The hassles you are dealing with suggest that you'd be far better off finding someone in California (or at least in the U.S.) for this.

So, we were originally going with Ukraine, but with Russia's invasion, that made the decision for us on Georgia. We're not doing it in CA because it's the most expensive place in the world for surrogacy; it STARTS at $125K and can balloon up to $200K, which we don't have lying around. With such a big, life-changing decision, we didn't blindly choose without checking in the U.S., first. Can't do Mexico…they put the surrogate's name on the birth certificate (iron-clad Mexican law) and who wants to deal with their child finding out later in life that another woman's name was on the original birth certificate? Not me!!! Can't do Canada…they only allow altruistic surrogacy among Canadian citizens only.

The lady from the agency told me today that she's currently dealing with 5 other Canadian and American couples who are having the same issues….just thought maybe someone on here may have assisted someone going through this and how they went about it. I do appreciate the answers!

Can't do Mexico…they put the surrogate's name on the birth certificate (iron-clad Mexican law) and who wants to deal with their child finding out later in life that another woman's name was on the original birth certificate? Not me!!!
Is it such a terrible thing for the child to know/understand his/her own history?

Can't do Mexico…they put the surrogate's name on the birth certificate (iron-clad Mexican law) and who wants to deal with their child finding out later in life that another woman's name was on the original birth certificate?

The TRUTH is most resilient.

TRUTH, when concealed, struggles to be seen and heard.

Sure, secrets can be hidden.

Then one day, without fanfare, TRUTH sets itself FREE.

When TRUTH obtains it's freedom, the revelations are known to cause shockwaves in the lives of those who have been fed lie, after lie, after lie.

My grandfather told me decades ago, "Son, no matter who may get hurt, always tell the truth. Lies and liars will always be outed."

The lady from the agency told me today that she's currently dealing with 5 other Canadian and American couples who are having the same issues….just thought maybe someone on here may have assisted someone going through this and how they went about it. I do appreciate the answers!

You're dealing with a third world country that bureaucratically in the Stone Age.

Good luck.

Maybe you should consider adopting a child in the US.

Can't do Mexico…they put the surrogate's name on the birth certificate (iron-clad Mexican law) and who wants to deal with their child finding out later in life that another woman's name was on the original birth certificate? Not me!!!

Really?! That's your reasoning?

You would hide a child's origins from them?

Why not just adopt a child, and tell them the truth?

If the agency is asking for a name change, then why not do it?

My husband and I are contracting a surrogate in the country of Georgia. They asked for copies of our marriage certificate and passport photos, but then took issue that my last name is not the same on my passport (married name) than on my marriage certificate (maiden name). We live in Los Angeles now, but were married in PA. The surrogacy agency keeps saying I need to do a "Petition for Name Change," which I have been told by the courthouse in PA where we were married, the courthouse in Harrisburg, and the local Soc Sec office that this NOT the correct route, that in the U.S., name change is proved by the marriage license. I have submitted 2 copies of our marriage license to the PA Dept of State for apostille (Hague Convention-approved legitimization specifically for Georgia) however, the surrogacy agency stated this is not legitimate proof because the marriage license doesn't say I'm the same person with both names. I called the local Soc Sec office where we were married to get a copy of the SS-5 form that I filled out to change my name through them, however, I was told the original document was shredded within weeks of their receipt of it. How do I obtain a legal document stating I am who I am, without completing the "The Petition for Name Change" and what is the document called, if it's not the "Petition for Name Change?" Thank you!

I suggest going through with surrogacy somewhere else, potentially in the US. They may not recognize how the US considers a name change.

Well I just read your follow up to someone else asking and omg. Really? You're going to not tell your child they were carried via surrogate? Why not? I think they deserve to know the truth. Who cares if someone elsThate's name is on the birth certificate? This is why surrogacy is just as problematic as adoption and can also carry its own trauma to the eventual child. That's like people who adopt and never tell their kid they were adopted.

I wouldn't even recommend you adopt since you don't seem to be child focused and instead focused on what you want.

Back