1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Proof of Name Change by Marriage for 1961 Hague Convention Countries

Discussion in 'Name Changes' started by Tammy Homsi, Jun 22, 2022.

  1. Tammy Homsi

    Tammy Homsi Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    My husband and I are contracting a surrogate in the country of Georgia. They asked for copies of our marriage certificate and passport photos, but then took issue that my last name is not the same on my passport (married name) than on my marriage certificate (maiden name). We live in Los Angeles now, but were married in PA. The surrogacy agency keeps saying I need to do a “Petition for Name Change,” which I have been told by the courthouse in PA where we were married, the courthouse in Harrisburg, and the local Soc Sec office that this NOT the correct route, that in the U.S., name change is proved by the marriage license. I have submitted 2 copies of our marriage license to the PA Dept of State for apostille (Hague Convention-approved legitimization specifically for Georgia) however, the surrogacy agency stated this is not legitimate proof because the marriage license doesn’t say I’m the same person with both names. I called the local Soc Sec office where we were married to get a copy of the SS-5 form that I filled out to change my name through them, however, I was told the original document was shredded within weeks of their receipt of it. How do I obtain a legal document stating I am who I am, without completing the “The Petition for Name Change” and what is the document called, if it’s not the “Petition for Name Change?” Thank you!
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    I suggest you discuss your isdues/concerns with a reputable attorney licensed to practice in the Sovereign nation of Georgia.

    Why Georgia?

    The federal and state authorities in the USA already KNOW exactly who and what you are.

    Your stumbling block appears to fabricated by the nation of Georgia's laws, legal customs, and business practices.

    In the USA, spouses can exchange names, keep their existing name, or use a hyphenated name.

    Today we take no notice of gender, as both spouses entering the marital corporation are treated equally.

    Perhaps you could explore surrogacy in other nations, or even the US states or territories.

    That seems much more efficient than being forced to beat your head against a brick wall.

    You're apparently NOT having any issues within the USA.

    Your problem seems to be with customs and practices regarding name changes in the nation of Georgia.

    Your surrogacy contract seems to be modeled under Georgian laws, not the laws of the USA.

    You provide the Georgian agency with everything they require, otherwise the contract will never come to fruition.

    When in Rome, do as the Romans, not the Senegalese, Norwegians, or Mexicans; only as the Romans do.
  3. zddoodah

    zddoodah Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Why are you contracting with a woman in Georgia (as opposed to someone in California) for this?

    If there is some agency based in a foreign country who is insisting on documentation you don't have, then all that matters is what that agency wants. The hassles you are dealing with suggest that you'd be far better off finding someone in California (or at least in the U.S.) for this.
    Zigner likes this.
  4. Red Kayak

    Red Kayak Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Perhaps even the US state of Georgia, rather than the country of Georgia!

    P. S. My ex-spouse is from the former Eastern Bloc, and was unable to establish our child's dual citizenship, due to our documents being only a "copies" - mind you, official "copies" was issued the municipalities in the US, with the official embossed seal and clerk's signature. The ex-spouse could not get them to accept that this is was an official document and that it would not be legal for us to swipe the original records from city hall. Then again, knowing my ex, it is possible that the ex missed a critical step or two. But that just underscores the need for competent experienced legal contacts.
    justblue likes this.

Share This Page