Problems getting paid on time, possibly at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstone715

I've been working for a company for a year and a half now, when I began working there my payday was Monday. Throughout that time the payday has been pushed forward several times and is now Friday, and by Friday I mean not until Friday night around 10pm. This is already frustrating and in addition to this our first two paychecks were held back so we are a month behind as far as the dates we are getting paid for. Last week our store was seized because the owner had a major debt and a judgement against him, the store was shut down for a couple of days and when I came back to work I told my boss I would not work for free and that if I wasnt paid on Friday I would not be returning to work on Saturday.

Yesterday was Friday and we did not recieve our paychecks, he said we would get them today. After discussing it with him he and I agreed that I would return to work once I was paid. Well, now he's saying we won't be paid until Monday and this is getting ridiculous. Should I file a complaint with the Dept of Labor even if I am paid on Monday? If I choose not to return to work do I have any claim for unemployment? Would you continue to work in this shaky situation? I have reason to believe we will not even get paid Monday as the owner has a history of lying to us, we don't know what to believe.

Sorry it's kinda tl;dr I just feel like there's no other way to explain the situation.

Contact the DOL and file that complaint.

Missed paydays are one reason, another is misiing or late paydays. You've got reason to complain on a couple grounds. Your employer is in difficulty.

You might also ask the DOL and the Unemployment
Commission about work instability and nonpayment of wages as a reason to leave an employment situation.

Get the answer in writing before you do anything. I think this will all come to a head soon. Just hang in there. He just might shut his doors this week.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Judging from your last line it's almost as if you work there too. We are assuming the store will shut down, it's only a matter of time.

OP, you posted this question on another forum, right? I just responded there.

I just noticed, however, your comment regarding your first two weeks "holdback". Are you sure you have never received those wages? Or is the employer just paying "in arrears" (i.e., after the fact--they do have up to 14 days following the end of the pay period to issues paychecks for weekly and biweekly pay frequencies).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back