Privacy issues

Jonesdoe

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Ok so I work for a small retail business. They employ less then 10 people. My question is we have one worker that continues to use work computers to google search customers home addresses and sometimes there names. I think they are doing this to somehow see how much money they have to gauge if it's a waste of there time trying to sell them anything that's higher priced. I think it's wrong but I am not the owner of said store just related to owners. I haven't confronted any of the parties involved yet I plan too just want some insight as to how I should present this situation maybe have some info I can print out to show. I've tried google but there so much info I don't know what to do.

Thanks

I just want to show them the legal repercussions if this becomes an issues and have them stop. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble. It's just horrible when a customer comes in that's new and is reluctant to give their info to us and then have that same person say to them if we don't do anything with your info other then call u or send mailings for a sale. Then they go researching this customer on google. Nothing we do in this location has anything to do with customers info except contacting them for business issues we sell and fix things in house

I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble.

Most of the time it is best NOT to see, hear, or volunteer information about those you work with, unless asked by a superior.

Even if asked, it might often be better to know nothing about unsavory activities.

Furthermore, as we all were told in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade while taking a test, keep your eyes on your paper only!

My mother was fond of saying, "If you don't look, you won't see. If you don't listen, you won't hear."

Her only exception was if a child or elderly person was in danger or being harmed.

She said that's one of the only times you should squeal like a little piglet, especially on the job.

One of her other rules about the workplace, "If you're busy doing what your employer pays you to do, you won't have time to see what your co-workers are doing or not."

I think they are doing this

"They"? Is this one person or more than one person?

I think they are doing this to somehow see how much money they have to gauge if it's a waste of there time trying to sell them anything that's higher priced.

So...your fellow employees are using savvy sales techniques. Why does this bother you?

I think it's wrong

Why?

I haven't confronted any of the parties involved yet I plan too

Why? Is this part of your job?

just want some insight as to how I should present this situation

Present it to whom?

Your post doesn't raise any legal issue whatever. You're obviously free to discuss this with your relatives who own the store, but there's no legal restriction on what one may and may not search for on the internet.

Thank you for the info that's all I needed.

I just though since it's info they are getting from the work system it would be an issue on privacy.

Thanks for all input on the matter!

Back