Privacy issue at work

A

Atomicwedgie12

Jurisdiction
California
Hi, im gonna get right to it and ask, i work for a huge company...i wasnt feeling well and passed out in the bathroom. A coworker decides to record me and pass it around to show everyone. It spread to other locations thats how i ended up hearing about it..from a friend at a different location. Anyways im embarrassed and feel awkward while im there. Is there any legal action i can take?

Your friends are childish and foolish and I don't blame you for being embarrassed. However, they did not violate any privacy laws, or any other laws, and there is no legal action available to you.

Hi, im gonna get right to it and ask, i work for a huge company...i wasnt feeling well and passed out in the bathroom. A coworker decides to record me and pass it around to show everyone. It spread to other locations thats how i ended up hearing about it..from a friend at a different location. Anyways im embarrassed and feel awkward while im there. Is there any legal action i can take?

You had an issue in a public place.
Someone captured the incident on on video.
That same someone circulated the recording.
You can do what celebrities do when someone captures one of them on video, DENY that it was you.
You could ALLEGE the image was "doctored".
But, anything you say will only cause the incident to live, and not just die.
No one violated your rights.
You had your "episode" in full view of others?
How can you expect the law can tell people they didn't see anything, and they are not to talk about anything.

All you can do is keep your mouth shut and don't fan the flames.

Is there any legal action i can take?

Yes.

Call the cops.

It's a crime under the California Penal Code

Section 647. Except as provided in paragraph (5) of subdivision (b) and subdivision (l), every person who commits any of the following acts is guilty of disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor:

(j) (1) A person who looks through a hole or opening, into, or otherwise views, by means of any instrumentality, including, but not limited to, a periscope, telescope, binoculars, camera, motion picture camera, camcorder, or mobile phone, the interior of a bedroom, bathroom, changing room, fitting room, dressing room, or tanning booth, or the interior of any other area in which the occupant has a reasonable expectation of privacy, with the intent to invade the privacy of a person or persons inside.

Law section

How far you want to push this is up to you.

Don't get too far ahead... Whether it was illegal or not would depend on a few factors that aren't made clear here.
This sounds like something best handled by the employer, but would require explaining a reason for being passed out while on the job which could have negative consequences.

Don't get too far ahead... Whether it was illegal or not would depend on a few factors that aren't made clear here.
This sounds like something best handled by the employer, but would require explaining a reason for being passed out while on the job which could have negative consequences.
Sorry when i said passed out im meant like exhausted and tired. I have worked for 3 months without any days off. Before that it was 6 years without a day off. Also when i said i was sick i went to the bathroom to vomit. It was at the very end of the shift and thats when i fell asleep. He put his phone under the divider to record me. And after i left work is when he decided to show everyone.cause his shift just start and mine had ended. I was excused for falling asleep cause they know how much i work for them. And the guy who recorded the video has been suspended.

Glad you got some resolution from your employer then. But you really need to consider taking some days off if you are falling asleep in weird places.

As you describe it this likely would be considered a misdemeanor.
Personally, I'd just let it go and let the suspension from work be the end of it.

Back