Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Prepaid credit cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nkernodle33

If someone gave me a newly bought prepaid credit card without any name on it yet and told me I could use it to pay my bills but I later hind out it was not their card it was soneone else's can I be charged with any criminal crimes

Maybe. The first question that comes to mind is, "Why?"

WHY would someone just give you a prepaid card and allow you to pay bills with it? Is this person rich? Is this person someone who owes you money? If so, how and why? Most of us would ask ourselves, WHY is someone just giving me a prepaid card to pay my bills with? This just doesn't happen in the real world ... but, it does happen in the criminal world where people make all sorts of arrangements. If you have a criminal history (dope, theft, fraud, etc.) then that history will definitely play against you.

While you are under no legal obligation to say anything to the police, if they can show through the totality of the circumstances that you knew or reasonably should have known that the card was stolen or somehow obtained through larceny, then you can be charged. You might get lucky and they might simply ask you to testify against the person that gave it to you.

So, the answer to your question is, "Maybe," or even, "Yes, you CAN be charged." Whether you can be convicted would depend on a whole lot more information ... and you'd better hope that the other guy doesn't dime you off in an effort to get a better deal himself!

Hopefully you know this person & where to find them who gave you this card. We'll assume you do. If not, big problem.

If someone gave me a newly bought prepaid credit card without any name on it yet and told me I could use it to pay my bills but I later hind out it was not their card it was soneone else's can I be charged with any criminal crimes

Are you asking this because this happened, or IF it were to happen?

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely isn't true.

Before you spend anything on the card, you can always contact the card issuer and inquire to its authenticity.

Often those cards provide an "800" number or website address where the cardholder can verify the funds available on the card, as well as its authenticity and/or legitimacy.

I suggest you read EVERYTHING printed on the card. Then use the Internet to determine if the card is stolen or cancelled.

How did you find out it wasn't their card but someone else's card? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back