Pregnant teen.

Aweigel0628

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I'm not sure if this is the right place but, I'm 17 and my girlfriend is 16 going to be 17 next Friday. We want to have a child but are afraid her parents will force her to abort the child. Do her parents have the right to make that decision for her? We want a full pregnancy and will fight for this.

I'm not sure if this is the right place but, I'm 17 and my girlfriend is 16 going to be 17 next Friday. We want to have a child but are afraid her parents will force her to abort the child. Do her parents have the right to make that decision for her? We want a full pregnancy and will fight for this.

The fact that you even ask this question reveals the last thing an adult male should ever do is have intercourse with a minor child.

I suggest you restrain your lustful desires or urge to nest until you obtain a high school diploma, a job that pays BOTH of YOU more than minimum wage, and are living on your own.

If you can't support yourself, why on earth would you even think about breeding?

How am I an adult? I said I was 17. And I have a job that pays 420-460 a week and, will be getting a very stable job with my father starting pay 15/hour and guaranteed 35 hours....

How am I an adult? I said I was 17. And I have a job that pays 420-460 a week and, will be getting a very stable job with my father starting pay 15/hour and guaranteed 35 hours....

That question only buttresses my previous advice.

I'm done, good luck.

You've posted this in the emancipation forum. There are two types of emancipation that apply here so I'm going to respond to both.

Your girlfriend is MEDICALLY emancipated, meaning that her parents cannot force her to abort and she (with the help of her doctor) can make her own decisions regarding her health and that of her baby.

She is NOT legally emancipated. Ohio only recognizes emancipation for minors if they are legally married or enrolled in the active armed forces, both of which require parental permission and in some parts of Ohio permission from a judge, as well. In those states which will recognize a minor as emancipated, by getting pregnant she would have kissed all hope of legal emancipation goodbye. That tells a judge she needs more parental supervision, not less.

So with the SINGLE EXCEPTION I have noted above, she is still under the care and control of her parents. She still does what she is told to do and does not do what she is told not to do, with the SOLE exception that she cannot be forced to abort. She has the rights that her parents choose to give her, period, until she is 18 (not 17 - 18) other than that.

You've posted this in the emancipation forum. There are two types of emancipation that apply here so I'm going to respond to both.

Your girlfriend is MEDICALLY emancipated, meaning that her parents cannot force her to abort and she (with the help of her doctor) can make her own decisions regarding her health and that of her baby.

She is NOT legally emancipated. Ohio only recognizes emancipation for minors if they are legally married or enrolled in the active armed forces, both of which require parental permission and in some parts of Ohio permission from a judge, as well. In those states which will recognize a minor as emancipated, by getting pregnant she would have kissed all hope of legal emancipation goodbye. That tells a judge she needs more parental supervision, not less.

So with the SINGLE EXCEPTION I have noted above, she is still under the care and control of her parents. She still does what she is told to do and does not do what she is told not to do, with the SOLE exception that she cannot be forced to abort. She has the rights that her parents choose to give her, period, until she is 18 (not 17 - 18) other than that.
THANK YOU, I appreciate this. I really do. She understands that she still has to do what her parents tell her to. She just doesn't want her parents to force her to abort

Lord. You are a CHILD. She is a CHILD. Neither of you can support a child of your own no matter how much money you have (and $420-460 a week is hardly rolling in dough). You can't sign a lease, buy a car legally, obtain insurance, enroll the child in school or daycare, or a million other things you need to do to raise a child. You can't even file in court to establish paternity on your own. While her parents can't "force" her to abort, they don't have to agree to support the baby at all. They are more than welcome to use all manner of means to influence her to terminate the pregnancy or place the child for adoption. They also do not have to allow her to see you or have any contact with you until the day she turns 18. Once she turns 18, she may do as she pleases but their obligation to support her at all in any way also ends.

Why in the world you would be in a rush to jump into parenthood when you are ill equipped to handle even the most basics aspects on your own is beyond me.

Lord. You are a CHILD. She is a CHILD. Neither of you can support a child of your own no matter how much money you have (and $420-460 a week is hardly rolling in dough). You can't sign a lease, buy a car legally, obtain insurance, enroll the child in school or daycare, or a million other things you need to do to raise a child. You can't even file in court to establish paternity on your own. While her parents can't "force" her to abort, they don't have to agree to support the baby at all. They are more than welcome to use all manner of means to influence her to terminate the pregnancy or place the child for adoption. They also do not have to allow her to see you or have any contact with you until the day she turns 18. Once she turns 18, she may do as she pleases but their obligation to support her at all in any way also ends.

Why in the world you would be in a rush to jump into parenthood when you are ill equipped to handle even the most basics aspects on your own is beyond me.
I did not post this to be judged. I posted this to get my question answered. Thank you for your time though. Appreciated.

Why do you want to have a child when you're both minors? Holy crap do you even realize what you're talking about???

Ohio Abortion Laws - FindLaw

"Ohio Minor Law: If you are under the age of 18, a parent, legal guardian or custodian must accompany you to the appointment. The parent of a minor must consent before an abortion is provided." They cannot force her into an abortion - but she can't get one without them.

You two are minors. Have you thought about what it entails to have a baby? I had my first and only child at 32 years old - it's a full time job for me as a single parent even without her medical issues. Oh yeah - think about that. What if your kid ends up with some rare genetic condition like my daughter or other kids? How will you pay for that? Medical bills are extremely expensive FYI. Luckily I'm in the military.

I sure as hell hope that her parents stop her from going near you. When you guys are 18 you can do what you want. Until then your parents control each of you. Now they would have no rights to your child but who do you think is going to help you out?

Do NOT bring a child into this world that you know you cant' take care of. Leave that girl alone and let her have a life first because you don't know if you two will stay together and then she's alone to take care of a baby.

Oh you should have expected to get some judgment when you said your ages....your lucky 16 is the age of consent in Ohio...or you'd have more trouble on your hands.

Why do you want to have a child when you're both minors? Holy crap do you even realize what you're talking about???

Ohio Abortion Laws - FindLaw

"Ohio Minor Law: If you are under the age of 18, a parent, legal guardian or custodian must accompany you to the appointment. The parent of a minor must consent before an abortion is provided." They cannot force her into an abortion - but she can't get one without them.

You two are minors. Have you thought about what it entails to have a baby? I had my first and only child at 32 years old - it's a full time job for me as a single parent even without her medical issues. Oh yeah - think about that. What if your kid ends up with some rare genetic condition like my daughter or other kids? How will you pay for that? Medical bills are extremely expensive FYI. Luckily I'm in the military.

I sure as hell hope that her parents stop her from going near you. When you guys are 18 you can do what you want. Until then your parents control each of you. Now they would have no rights to your child but who do you think is going to help you out?

Do NOT bring a child into this world that you know you cant' take care of. Leave that girl alone and let her have a life first because you don't know if you two will stay together and then she's alone to take care of a baby.

Oh you should have expected to get some judgment when you said your ages....your lucky 16 is the age of consent in Ohio...or you'd have more trouble on your hands.
Shes the one who initially brought it up and wanted it first. And okay, judge me oh well. Thanks though, appreciate it and thank you for defending our country. SALUTE

This is not enough to support a child, a spouse, or both. It seems like a lot of money when you are young, and likely living with parents, but it is barely enough to support yourself in the real world.

No, they can't force her to get an abortion, but they can strongly influence her decision.

This is not enough to support a child, a spouse, or both. It seems like a lot of money when you are young, and likely living with parents, but it is barely enough to support yourself in the real world.

No, they can't force her to get an abortion, but they can strongly influence her decision.
Thank you, appreciate the simple answer.

We want to have a child

You mean like now? You're kidding, right? Please don't make such a monumentally dumb decision.

We . . . are afraid her parents will force her to abort the child. Do her parents have the right to make that decision for her?

No.

We want a full pregnancy and will fight for this.

Just stop. Her parents do have the right to seek a court order to keep you away from their daughter, and I sincerely hope they discover what you're considering and exercise that right. If you really want to make a decision to screw up your lives, at least wait until you're both 18.

There are no sex crimes based on the information given. The age of consent in Ohio is 16.

If you had any sexual contact with her prior to turning 16 there could be an issue, but still you are both juveniles and not much of anything would come of it.

Actually, I should have mentioned that.

The other posters here are quite right in that while she cannot be forced to abort, there is nothing to prevent them from trying their absolute hardest to convince her to get one. Also, covered under "do what her parents say and do not do what they say not to do" is included, they get to say who she can see and who she can't. So if they should take it into their heads to say that she doesn't get to see or talk to you in any way, guess what? She doesn't get to see or talk to you in any way.

Shes the one who initially brought it up and wanted it first. And okay, judge me oh well. Thanks though, appreciate it and thank you for defending our country. SALUTE

Okay so why didn't you be the voice of reason and say "I don't think we are old enough or mature enough to take care of a child."

Back