pre employment background checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartykat

Recenly I was offered employment through Family Dollar, and was given the usual drug test and background check. I was fine until a thorough background was made as I was in Management. I worked six days as a regular associate in setting up the store, and one day as an Assistant Manager. When my shift ended, the Store Manager walked with me outside and we discussed the results of the background check and a "Not Recommended For Employment" email was brought to the District Manager's attention and as we talked I was literally told that I was no longer an employee of Family Dollar. I knew of my past troubles and never had them interfere with past employers before. But I can understand their policy and it was their disgression to keep me or let me go. Despite letting me go, I was given a definite rehire when my issues on my background check are resolved. Now, I was told that within 10 years these issues will not show up, is this the correct amount of time? As of right now, its been 10 yrs for one of the issues and its still coming up on my record. The other may be off of there by Jan 2007. These are criminal (misdemeanors) issues, I may add.
10 years ago, I was involved in a situation beyond my control, and it cost me big time. The past i would love to forget. The disappointment in the eyes of the Store Manager I will never forget and I hope there will be a time in my future and hers that I can remove the past from that disappointment. How? How long does a criminal record stay on a background check? Is there any legal way around this background check? It seems to be an invasion of my privacy. My reputation as an exceptional employee ruined by an email regarding my past. A past that I did the crime and served my time. There are worse people than me, working in the public, I dont see why I cant have that same second chance as others.:confused:

Recenly I was offered employment through Family Dollar, and was given the usual drug test and background check. I was fine until a thorough background was made as I was in Management. I worked six days as a regular associate in setting up the store, and one day as an Assistant Manager. When my shift ended, the Store Manager walked with me outside and we discussed the results of the background check and a "Not Recommended For Employment" email was brought to the District Manager's attention and as we talked I was literally told that I was no longer an employee of Family Dollar. I knew of my past troubles and never had them interfere with past employers before. But I can understand their policy and it was their disgression to keep me or let me go. Despite letting me go, I was given a definite rehire when my issues on my background check are resolved. Now, I was told that within 10 years these issues will not show up, is this the correct amount of time? As of right now, its been 10 yrs for one of the issues and its still coming up on my record. The other may be off of there by Jan 2007. These are criminal (misdemeanors) issues, I may add.
10 years ago, I was involved in a situation beyond my control, and it cost me big time. The past i would love to forget. The disappointment in the eyes of the Store Manager I will never forget and I hope there will be a time in my future and hers that I can remove the past from that disappointment. How? How long does a criminal record stay on a background check? Is there any legal way around this background check? It seems to be an invasion of my privacy. My reputation as an exceptional employee ruined by an email regarding my past. A past that I did the crime and served my time. There are worse people than me, working in the public, I dont see why I cant have that same second chance as others.:confused:
I am deeply sorry to hear about your predicament. Yes, people DO deserve a second chace and the entire process should be MUCH SIMPLER to understand. :( We should not all have to be lawyers to appreciate how to get that second chance and clear your record after dealing with a mistake from our younger and more foolish days...

My understanding is that they stay on your record until expunged, and being misdemeanors it may be possible you can do so. Why not give this a try? What state are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back