Possible Harrasment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giltorresjr

Good Morning, my wife has been taking a lot of verbal abuse from a co-worker lately and im not sure what we can do about it. She has called my wife stupid,ridiculous,unprofessional and mocked her saying i make 3 times what you make she is an RN and "charge nurse" my wife is a CMA.
this has all been done in front of the coworkers about 4 of the co workers have written letters to the manager explaining the problem this certain coworker is starting but the manager has not done anything but had a meeting with the problem coworker.
After the meeting the manager tell my wife "ok she just wants to go to work and not have problems" Now my question is after months of belittling my wife when does another coworker get to say ok im done harassing now.

Again any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I think your wife ,CNA should go to her superiors and start documenting the harassment .Dates and times. Stand up for herself though it is hard to challenge a superior.Hopefully it will stop before she needs a lawyer or a new job.

Although such statements are rude and unprofessional, this is not illegal harrassment, which is defined as being based solely on a Title VII protected characteristic, such as gender, religion, national origin, etc. Mere rudeness is not illegal.

Although such statements are rude and unprofessional, this is not illegal harassment, which is defined as being based solely on a Title VII protected characteristic, such as gender, religion, national origin, etc. Mere rudeness is not illegal.

but in her hand book it clearly says that that sort of language OR the talk of making more money then another co-worker in a mocking fashion is here a serious offense so why is nothing done by the manager if HR says its so serious?

giltorresjr said:
but in her hand book it clearly says that that sort of language OR the talk of making more money then another co-worker in a mocking fashion is here a serious offense so why is nothing done by the manager if HR says its so serious?

Your wife should speak with the HR manager about these problems.

She should cite the written policies that the nurse is breaking. She should ask HR what they will do about it.

She should be prepared for repercusions. There will be some.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your wife should talk to a manager or even her HR rep at her job. This is a serious issue that has to be dealt with and can not be left alone.

Doing this will only help her and that employee will stop verbally abusing her. If this does not help, maybe you should consult with a lawyer but this would take things to a whole new level.

Here is another option. Your wife should tell that person that if he or she continues to verbally abuse her, then she will go to the boss and let them know about this.

Tal

However, a "serious offense" as defined by company policy is not the same as illegal harrassment. I don't disagree with reporting such treatment to HR or the supervisor's manager, but I just wanted to make it clear that company policy is not law and the behavior described is not a violation of any law.

However, a "serious offense" as defined by company policy is not the same as illegal harrassment. I don't disagree with reporting such treatment to HR or the supervisor's manager, but I just wanted to make it clear that company policy is not law and the behavior described is not a violation of any law.

No one has the right to verbally abuse others at the work place. PERIOD.

While I do not disagree with you, just because there is an ethical or moral wrong does NOT mean that there is legal recourse, or that the employer is MANDATED to do something about it.

If the behavior is not illegal, and this is not illegal even though it may be "wrong", the employer has no LEGAL obligation to take action.

I'm not saying they won't. I'm saying that if they don't, the poster does not have legal recourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back