Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartbroken

I am currently married with 2 kids. My husband was unfaithful and has a child on the way. She currently lives in a different state. She wants to collect child support. if this happens it will take away money from my home that helps provides for the kids he already have. What can I do to protect my kids financially.

I am currently married with 2 kids. My husband was unfaithful and has a child on the way. She currently lives in a different state. She wants to collect child support. if this happens it will take away money from my home that helps provides for the kids he already have. What can I do to protect my kids financially.

Not much you can do prevent him from having to pay child support. Perhaps you should speak with a divorce attorney who might be able to tell you the advantages or disadvantages of a divorce and support for you and your current kids.

Where I understand your frustration and concern its not the child's fault. His child deserves the support his/her Father (your husband) should supply. He has a moral and legal (if ordered to pay support) to financially support his child. Its no different then if you had another child. You can Divorce him and seek child and possibly spousal support or do nothing and see a fair amount of his income to go to his other child's Mom for support. You will also likely have to face fact that he will be granted visitation as well. He certainly has a moral obligation to visit his child. This means some of his time will be taken up to visiting his child. With a newborn that likely will happen at child's home with Mom there most likely

Whisper this into his ear: "Hey, Buster, you have the right to request a paternity test be done to prove it ain't your baby. Buster, please request a paternity test, please, will ya, huh?"

OP, I want you to think.. REALLY think... in the long term. Don't think about his other child. Think about you and your children. The reason I'm saying that, is because staying with him after the affair can put you into a precarious situation I'm not sure you've considered.

If the other Mom files for child support, he's going to be paying it. If you later divorce, your children would get a markedly smaller amount of child support. When it comes to child support, whoever files first usually ends up with the better "deal".

You're already in a lot of pain, but please consider: your kids will pick up on the tension in the household. Might it not be a better idea to get out now and help yourselves heal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back