Please help - resolving judgement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarvis1906

My daughter was born 10/02 and I lived with her mother. We married in 2004 and divorced May 2006. For a six month period in 2003, she received county aid for my daughter, against my knowledge. In 2003 my paychecks started to get garnished and I finally found out that the county of LA was garnishing my checks for the benefit amount that they gave her, as well as child support of $247.00 monthly to her, based on 80/20 visitation. I contacted child support in 2003 and explained that we live together with our daughter. They shortly after stopped garnishing my checks and the case was closed. We were officially divorced 6/06 and the judge awarded us both joint legal and physical custody, alternating on Fridays, with no child or spousal support ordered.

I was told by child support that she called to have the case reopened 1/2007 and they started to garnish my paychecks 2/08. Child support questions how much time I spend with my daughter and I notified them that we alternate 50%; she is with both of us equally, with me having the biggest expense for her. I was advised that I must go through the court to dimiss the judgement, and that they weren't notified of our custody arrangement when she called. I questioned how a judgement from 2003 can be enforced by child support simply by a phone call, without them performing any due diligence as to the validity for her request. Had they researched, they would have known that we share custody. What should I do to resolve? What should I do to dismiss this previous judgement? Since I lived with my X wife at the time of it being served, I am sure she could have signed for the summons to court, and never gave it to me. Therefore, a default judgement was entered based on 80% visitation for her, and 20% to me. The problem is we LIVED together at that time. I lost my job recently due to spending too much time in court, and time away from work trying to resolve my check garnishment issues. Now 25% of my unemployment checks are being garnished, and she have returned none of the money. My daughter is affected by this as well.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back