petty theft in California (dept. store) as a minor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anna121

I am a 16 year old female who was caught shoplifting at a (dept. store). It was a mistake and I fully regret it. It was 26 dollars of merchandise, and I was honest and told the truth about the details of the shoplifting. I was released to my mother after giving them the majority of my information and having my photo taken. They told us we needed to pay a fine for basically their time which would range from 50-5000 dollars and it would arrive in the mail. It seems a little absurd that the top off price for the fine was 5000 when in the Civil Recovery laws it states that no more than 500 dollars should be fined. Could (dept. store)charge my family up to $5000 despite California's law? I also asked if it would go on my personal record in which they replied no. They also banned me from the Mall the (dept. store)is in unless I am within 5 feet of a parent/guardian and failure to do so would result in my arrest. I have a 4.0 gpa and I fear that it will appear on my background regardless threatening my ability to get jobs or get into the college I want. Does anyone know the extent to which this can affect me in the future?

Last edited by a moderator:
The civil demand is between $50 and $500, NOT $5,000. So, you either heard wrong or were misinformed.

If the police were not involved, consider yourself lucky. Once the civil demand is taken care of, so long as you obey any trespass admonitions and do not steal anymore, this may merely be a life lesson as opposed to a serious impediment to your future. But, understand, if you continue on this way and get arrested and convicted for theft that can forever damn you because a theft offense is a crime of moral turpitude, and many potential employers will think twice about bringing someone untrustworthy into their business.

I am a retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. I can tell you no state has a civil Demand law that goes that high! You heard wrong or were told wrong. Yes you were lucky as the store (you should not have named publically especially this one)could have filed a Police complaint and still can. Pay the Civil Demand and this will be over. Fail to pay and this can provoke one or more negative consequences for both you and your parents all are long term.

I removed the name of the store from the title of your thread & from your post for your protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back