Person's body dents car

Matt4522

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
In the parking lot of a venue a good friend tripped over a landscaping bush, fell into my car, putting a nice dent in the car. My insurance company will repair the damage but they will then go after my friend personally to cover the damages. The damages are about $2000. This was purely an accident. I don't want my friend getting sued. What are my options?

In the parking lot of a venue a good friend tripped over a landscaping bush, fell into my car, putting a nice dent in the car. My insurance company will repair the damage but they will then go after my friend personally to cover the damages. The damages are about $2000. This was purely an accident. I don't want my friend getting sued. What are my options?
You can pay for the car to be repaired yourself and not involve insurance...or you can involve your insurance and abide by the terms of the contract you have with them.

Why doesn't your friend pay for the damage he caused?

This was purely an accident.

Accidents are caused either by the negligence of the injured person or the negligence of somebody else and sometimes a little of both.

Whether your friend is liable for your damage or not depends on the circumstances.

You use the word "venue." What kind of venue? Sports? Something else? Was your friend partaking of alcoholic beverages? On drugs? Wacky tabacky? If any of the above, he is likely responsible for your damage.

If none of the above, describe how he tripped over the bush. Was there something about the placement of the bush, the visibility, something else? Possibly not his fault. Did you park too close to the bush whereby he had trouble getting around it? That would make it your fault.

Your insurance company has the right to seek reimbursement from an alleged negligent party but might not be successful if that party had an appropriate defense.

He's a very good friend and thats a lot of money. I'd hate to do that to him if at all possible.

If he or his parents have homeowner or renter insurance, their policy will pay for the repairs to your car.

This was purely an accident.

Well...sure. So is almost every auto accident. However, unless your friend tripped for some reason other than his own negligence, he's liable for the damage caused.

I don't want my friend getting sued.

Your friend won't get sued if he reimburses your insurer for the cost of repair.

What are my options?

1. Have your insurer pay for the repairs.
2. Work something out with your friend (which could include him reporting what happened to his homeowner's or renter's insurance, which may provide coverage if he has such insurance).
3. Pay for the repairs yourself.
4. Don't get the damage repaired.

If he or his parents have homeowner or renter insurance, their policy will pay for the repairs to your car.

Just to clarify, if the friend is an adult who doesn't live with his parents, then their insurance won't provide coverage.

He's a very good friend and thats a lot of money. I'd hate to do that to him if at all possible.

Wait...what? You consider him a "very good friend" and would "hate to do that to him" (not sure what "that" refers to), but he apparently doesn't consider you such a good friend that he's willing to step up and pay for the damage he caused to your car???

would "hate to do that to him" (not sure what "that" refers to)

"That" shirley, refers to making the friend pay the $2000.

(Yes, I wrote shirley on purpose because, if I'd written surely somebody would say "Don't call me shirley" so now there's a reason to say "Don't call me shirley."

:D

This was purely an accident. I don't want my friend getting sued. What are my options?

You might see if you and the person responsible for damaging your vehicle can reach a mutually satisfactory arrangement where you and STUMBLES agree to split or share the costs of repairing your vehicle.

Back