Personal Injury Claim

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do personal injury claims work?

I recently caused a rta in which another car and a motorbike were involved. I aquaplaned on water and lost control. Police investigation shows I wasn't speeding and it was just an accident. However, the motobike rider has placed a personal injury claim. I'm told (by the police) all he suffered was a scratched knee. Will this be settled by my inusrance company? Or will I go to court? Will this have any effect on my insurance renewal?

Your insurance carrier will investigate and settle or fight the claim, if it is without merit. You normally won't go to court, if things are as minor as you describe.

After all is done, your rates could increase. However, some plans waive the first accident. So, your best bet is to ask the insurance company.

Sent from my iPhone 4S via AT&T using Tapatalk

Army Judge is on target. An investigation will be made. I can tell you from some experience that the days rubber stamping personal injury claims for a scratched knee and other soft tissue damage that caused $100K or more of damages are over. In some instances an insurance company may even defend a lawsuit after which a plaintiff my walk away if there isn't a settlement. That would be unfortunate, nothing you can do about it except wait and see. If the police report says what you say it does then you shouldn't worry and just wait to see what happens. It's certainly possible that the personal injury claim may be very small and that it will be easily settled. In the event you have a larger problem, certainly you're welcome to return here and ask more questions about what has transpired. Best of luck.

It is usually recommended that someone considering a personal injury claim seek representation as soon as possible. Depending on the case, most attorneys specializing in personal injury work on contingency, or a percentage of financial damages awarded at the end of the claim. Taking a claim through hearings and the court system is costly and can take several months---or several years. Mediation is often looked at as a way to settle claims faster and more efficiently for both the injured and the insurance company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back