Payment not made by ex per decree

Status
Not open for further replies.

nopayasagreed

Per divorce decree, ex owes funds as of a month ago that were based on splitting home equity of 10 years ago (at the time of the divorce). Ex states that she does not have the money and will pay me 'when housing market improves.' How do I pursue w/o it costing me legal fees?

Last edited:
Per divorce decree, ex owes funds now that were based on home equity of 10 years ago (at the time of the divorce). Ex states that she will pay me 'when housing market improves.' How do I pursue w/o it costing me legal fees?

You can try to litigate the matter yourself.
Be advised, pro se litigation isn't easy.

Or, you can hire a lawyer to litigate this for you.

You gotta pay to play.

However, if she has no assets, it might be akin to milking a bull!!! When this has been tried, someone gets hurt, and it ain't the bull!!!

I might consider a payment plan on the $60k, but the bottom line is, I will likely have to pay to go after what a judge already stated in the decree to be mine?

I might consider a payment plan on the $60k, but the bottom line is, I will likely have to pay to go after what a judge already stated in the decree to be mine?

Yes, if she won't pay, you'll have to sue her.

What does a creditor do when you don't pay?

They sue you.

You're like a creditor to her. She owes you money. She hasn't paid. You ask her about it, and she says not now, when I'm ready. You want it now. Only a judge can order her to pay. And, even if that happens, she may still not pay. Some people don't care about obligations or consequences. Apparently, she's one of that ilk!

Last edited:
It's starting to sink in. Of coarse, if I didn't pay the child support all those years, I'm thinking she wouldn't have had to sue....FOC would have hit my paycheck. Correct? Where is my FOC?
Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

It's starting to sink in. Of coarse, if I didn't pay the child support all those years, I'm thinking she wouldn't have had to sue....FOC would have hit my paycheck. Correct? Where is my FOC?
Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Friend of the Court doesn't apply here.

I get your point.

I don't have a dog in your fight.

I gave you a legal opinion.

My personal opinion isn't relevant.

I can't make her pay you.

As I said, no one can make her honor her obligation.

Even if you sue her, and you win (hooray); you gotta collect.

All you win, when you sue, is a piece if paper saying she owes you.

True, the government helps custodial parents collect that debt, not other debts.

Sorry, mister, this is the world the ancients left us!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back