Paying Employees for Missing Punches

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlm012

We have a problem with employees punching in and out on the time clock. We would like to enforce some type of policy that the employee does not get paid for any shift missing a punch, until the NEXT pay day (two weeks). This causes extra work for the payroll coordinator, as well as supervisors. However, I cannot find anything online about the legalities of this. Is it illegal? We are not 'witholding' pay, we are just delaying it. They inconvenienced us, and we'll do the same. (I know it sounds harsh, but it's our only option, if legal).

We work in a high turnover non-profit agency, and warnings, whether written or verbal, do not mean anything.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

No, it is not legal. Wth rare exceptions that do not apply here, all hours have to be paid in the paycheck for the week(s) in which they were worked.

Nor is it your only option. Try any or all of the following:

1.) Suspend violators for a day without pay for each missed punch
2.) Terminate direct deposit (where applicable) so that they have to take a live check to the bank
3.) Continue with writeups with the understanding that an unpaid suspension will follow the second writeup and termination for the third
4.) Skip #3 and go straight to termination
5.) Tell the violators' manager(s) that their review and their increase will be affected by how many of their direct reports have how many missed punches - and stick to it
6.) Reduce pay ("Charlie, since you've missed punches three times this month, starting tomorrow your wage will be $ .50 less per hour")

You won't have to do any of these more than a couple of times before they catch on.

I am always astounded by these kinds of posts.

I have been (in my long life) at a couple of jobs where I either had to punch a clock or otherwise turn in my time.

I was always the FIRST one to do so!

I needed my money!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back