Paying child support for kids that live with me

Status
Not open for further replies.

AprilH

My ex won custody of our 2 children in 2001. In August of 2005 my ex offered to let my current husband adopt our children in an open adoption agreement, as long as i paid the attorney. We agreed and the children have been living with us for almost 3 1/2 years. However i can't pay for the attorney because i am supporting the children since they live with me plus i am still paying my ex $300 per month for current child support and $60 per month for back child support, until the adoption is complete. So i am in a bad catch 22, i can't afford to pay the attorney while paying child support but the child support won't stop until the adoption is complete and the attorney won't file the paper work until i pay him. Is there anyway that i can sue my ex for collecting the (current) child support so i can get that money back. He has collected over $12000.00 in 3 1/2 years from me and we can't even afford to live with out food stamps. Even though my husband and i both work steady jobs

Why in the world would the father let your husband adopt, after being awarded custody of the kids? That makes no sense at all. Open adoption or not children should not be adopted in this way if there is a relationship with that parent. If you have both kids, then you should file for custody. I would forget about the adoption it doesn't make sense to terminate rights to the kids. You do not need an attorney for cusody but you need to know what you are doing. Have you bothered to put in to stop child support since the kids are with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back