Paycheck Changes

sanfran56

Jurisdiction
California
I recently relocated across the state (California) for a relatively low-paying job. I work in the environmental sciences so my field is pretty small. I've had this job since January and I was hired on as a limited non-career position. In June I was finally promoted to a non-limited career position at the same hourly rate and my supervisor also assured me that I would be making the same per hour. My paychecks were consistently the same from January-August, so I was well-accustomed to my net monthly income. Because I was promoted to a non-limited career position and assured that I could have this job for at least two more years, I signed a one year lease for a new apartment closer to work—I could still may pay loans, afford rent, and afford some savings, so I was very happy with the situation. However, one week after moving into my new apartment my paycheck came in almost 20% less than my normal pay. Now, suddenly, I am in the position of either having to default on my student loans, or having to find another job (or a new job outside of my field). I spoke to HR about the situation, and they explained that as a non-limited employee I have to pay into University fees and they also transitioned me to a much more expensive (and mandatory) retirement plan without notice…and more that they deduct from my pay that I don't completely understand but are deemed mandatory deductions by the University. However, the fees and the new retirement plan are mandatory and so I don't have much say about this. I am very unhappy about this situation, especially because I was not given any notice by my supervisor or by HR that I would be receiving a pay cut after getting promoted. I would like to know what your thoughts are here? What should be my next step?

Again, this could be my fault for signing a one-year lease. However, the new apartment is the same price as my current apartment and if I knew about the pay cut in advance I could have moved to a cheaper place (I wouldn't have to default on my loans). After being promoted (in June), my paychecks were as usual. It wasn't until almost three months later that my paycheck was reduced by 20%.

A few things: I work 40-50 hours per week (8am-5pm…sometimes later, and sometimes I have to work on the weekends).

Unless you are employed under a collective bargaining agreement, or possess a personal services contract, you're an at will employee.

If you dislike your employment situation, seek new employment.

In reality, you didn't take a pay/wage cut as you are making the same per hour, instead your deductions from that pay/wage increased. You may want to delve into those deductions a bit more with HR and/or ask to go back to a limited position. It is very possible that your supervisor didn't think about deductions (and doesn't even know all the possible ones for your current or former positions) and was just referring to your gross wages

You don't have to 'default' on your student loans. You can file for what is known as a 'deferral' from the federal student loan department. I would suggest looking into that.

Back