pay raise

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcat14

Hi, I am just curious about if this is legal or illegal, my company hired me under a pay scale that is defined by certain certifications and work experience. I have worked my tail off making ends meet while scoring high grades on all tests and obtaining my certifications. So when raise time came up this year my boss told me that I was expected to get a 5 dollar raise, defined in this pay raise scale, yet told me that I would not receive it since our finance department would never agree to this large of a raise. So he decided to propose to them a constant raise on top of yearly raises for the next four years. ( Break up the remaining raise that I would not receive and add it to any raise I got in the future.) Is that legal to break a defined pay scale that was explained to me on my hire date. Two other employees went through this and we're never question ed when they received there certs. To make a long story short I'm out 10,000 dollars over the next 4 years. Can my company really do this?

To add to that I believe I signed this pay scale "contract" if you will. I will be looking into this shortly. If I have no signed "contract" I assume I have no room to stand on since no such laws are in existence.

Your second post is more or less correct. Your employer is not doing anything illegal unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back