Passive income classification for PFIC purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Client

Situation:

We have an investment in foreign company, which core activity is money transfer (like Western Union).

Company has more than 50% of its assets in form of bank deposits (mostly available "at-will" and thus providing very low interest income – significantly lower than average interest rate in location country).

However, main purpose to keep large amount of cash and deposits – to be able to satisfy clients requests. Company received 90% of income from transferring activity and less than 10% - from interest.

In such situation, can we classify deposits as providing non-passive income for the purposes of Private Foreign Investment Company legislation?

Or we should classify company as PFIC ?

Code section 1297(a) defines a PFIC as any foreign corporation if either: (1) at least 75
percent of the corporation's income for the taxable year is passive income; or (2) the
average percentage of assets held by the corporation during the taxable year that
produce, or are held for the production of, passive income is at least 50 percent.

Code section 1297(b) defines passive income for purposes of the PFIC income test as
income which is of a kind which would be foreign personal holding company income as
defined in Code section 954(c), subject to certain exceptions.

If I were you, I'd get out of that type of business.
These days, enterprises such as these are being watched very closely by federal law enforcement agencies.

Situation:

We have an investment in foreign company, which core activity is money transfer (like Western Union).

Company has more than 50% of its assets in form of bank deposits (mostly available "at-will" and thus providing very low interest income – significantly lower than average interest rate in location country).

However, main purpose to keep large amount of cash and deposits – to be able to satisfy clients requests. Company received 90% of income from transferring activity and less than 10% - from interest.

In such situation, can we classify deposits as providing non-passive income for the purposes of Private Foreign Investment Company legislation?

Or we should classify company as PFIC ?

Code section 1297(a) defines a PFIC as any foreign corporation if either: (1) at least 75
percent of the corporation's income for the taxable year is passive income; or (2) the
average percentage of assets held by the corporation during the taxable year that
produce, or are held for the production of, passive income is at least 50 percent.

Code section 1297(b) defines passive income for purposes of the PFIC income test as
income which is of a kind which would be foreign personal holding company income as
defined in Code section 954(c), subject to certain exceptions.

thanks for share your thoughts really this is very helpful to me.......i want share also something Are you a beginner? Well our company will help you in deciding on a suitable blog platform and surely you will be able to earn the extra income. passiveincomediary.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back