Partner Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsocfce

My girlfriend of 6 years and I are splitting up. During our time together, I have purchased a house. The home is in my name alone, I paid the downpayment myself, and I have made every mortgage payment along with paying every house bill (less groceries which we share) on my own. Is my ex-girlfriend entitled to a portion of the house equity like she claims since it was purchased during our time together? She is already taking all the furniture, which her family has primarily purchased for us.

Isn't it 7 years to be claimed as a common law wife. You need to check with your states laws on common law marriage to see how many years you have to live together before she has rights to your stuff. So far from what I know, the house is yours. If it turns out that you are considered to be entitled to half then you should get half of the furniture and everything else too. She can't just leave with stuff if it's to be divided in court later. But call your state attorneys office and see if they know what the years are first. If I'm right about the 7 years then you can tell her the house is yours and just let her take all the stuff her family bought since it's her family that bought it.

Only about 10 states legally recognize a common law marriage. If you happen to be in one of those states, it takes more than just living together to be recognized as common law. Common law means you guys are basically married-you call each other husband and wife, she has your last name, you file as married, etc.. Again you can really only legally do this in a handful of states.

It doesn't sound like she has much of a claim to anything. Don't feel obligated to give her anything. Living together does not mean she gets a piece of the pie.

Partner Rights pt.2

I am in Oregon and we do not recognize common law marraiges. Although we have lived together for 5-12 of the six years, we do not call each other husband and wife. The furthest we've gotten was talking about marraige one day, but no engagement ring or proposals were given. It sounds like she doesn't have any claim over the house I'd worked hard to earn. She's already getting all four pets and enough furniture to furnish two apartments. Thanks for the replies. Any further advice is always welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back