Parents want to sign over custody to aunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG6993

My brother and his ex wife want to sign over sole custody of their child to me (his aunt). How can I proceed without a lawyer? I need to know what forms I need to fill out plus how to get them submitted to the court.

This is in Texas

***Update... I already have the forms I need, I just need some guidance on how to fill them out.

Last edited:
My brother and his ex wife want to sign over sole custody of their child to me (his aunt). How can I proceed without a lawyer? I need to know what forms I need to fill out plus how to get them submitted to the court.

This is in Texas

***Update... I already have the forms I need, I just need some guidance on how to fill them out.

are you adopting the child?

MG6993 said:

This is in Texas

The parents of a child in Texas (most other places too) can't just sign over custody of their child to you like one signs a car title.

Children aren't property.

A child can be adopted in a lengthy process.

The parents can give you temporary custody of a child. That temporary custody can become permanent custody over time.

In Texas, you have to request temporary custody through a county court sitting in probate. Forms are needed, but so are other actions and court appearances.

You might want to speak with your county court that handles probate matters for guidance.

You could speak with an attorney. The initial consult is usually free.

Are you trying to adopt the child or just seeking temporary legal custody?

How old is the child?

Why do the parents want to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back