Overtime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poorsilver

I work for a major corparation with more than 20,000 employees.I work in marketing and outside sales. We are paid A straight salary as well as commisions. We are allowed to work no more than 40 hours in a week, in which we perform many duties from industry shows, to Customer service with other companies and straight sales to the public. However, We are directed to keep our cell phones with us and answer them 24 hours a day. If you are called by anyone and you do not answer your phone at anytime of the day you risk reprimand and termination.
The Question is, Does the company have a legal right to require marketing personel to answer customer calls 24 hours a day? While only paying us for the usual 9-5 office hours? Other personel within the company in other departments such as technicians recieve on-call pay. Should I continue to bite the bullet. Or, do I have any recourse to help me in questioning this practice. The last thing I would want to do is lose my job. However, It is hard raising a family and having to answer business calls at every hour of the night and day. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back