Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Out of state DUI questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is a resident of California but received a DUI in Ohio. Ohio kept his California drivers license. it has been over 30 days since his arrest and the state of California has not notified him of his license suspension. Will California notify him and what happens if it takes 6 months or 2 years before they suspend his license? Should he voluntarilly let the California DMV know of the Ohio DUI? He made a dumb mistake and wants to get the process over.

Thanks!

Your son was notified of the suspension when he got his DUI and his license was confiscated.
Have him go to the DMV and pay $10 or so to get his printout... see what his status is and what is on his record. It would take some time for one state to relay the info to another. Thirty days seems sufficient, but you never know... and I don't know that CA is necessarily going to send a notification that he should have already received.
If for some reason DMV does not have the DUI in their records yet then he can likely pay another small fee and get a new license issued.... but that new license could still get suspended if the paperwork catches up.

If Junior was only arrested and charged with a DUI, his license hasn't been suspended, YET!!!

Some states, maybe Ohio, will take a DL in lieu of bond.

In the interim, the person charged, drives using the citation as a license.

Has Junior been convicted of DUI, or was he only cited, released, and is awaiting his trial (or adjudication) for the incident?

Because of the out of state issue he plead guilty in Ohio and his license has been suspended. We are waiting for the judge in Ohio to approve taking the DUI class in California. He does'nt want to have to to take the class in both states. The Ohio attorney has filed a motion for work driving priveleges but we are not sure what that will mean to him in California. Thanks for postiing!

Because of the out of state issue he plead guilty in Ohio and his license has been suspended. We are waiting for the judge in Ohio to approve taking the DUI class in California. He does'nt want to have to to take the class in both states. The Ohio attorney has filed a motion for work driving priveleges but we are not sure what that will mean to him in California. Thanks for postiing!

That was most unfortunate for him.

I hope everything works out well for him, shortly.

As Moose said, he'd be wise to get in front of this sooner, rather than later.

If the Ohio court approves driving priveleges I assume that they will issue a document for him to keep in his wallet. Do you know if he can drive to work in California with the Ohio priveleges?

If the Ohio court approves driving priveleges I assume that they will issue a document for him to keep in his wallet. Do you know if he can drive to work in California with the Ohio priveleges?

That is a question that he should ask of his attorney, the court, or the prosecutor.

My guess is that his work related driving privileges don't extend across state lines.

He might be best advised to return by commercial air transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back