Out of Pocket Medical - Who is Responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen1971

Ex is ordered in decree to pay monthly health insurance premiums - we split out of pocket 50/50. Ex stopped paying monthly premiums back in September 2009 but didn't tell me. I continued to take our daughter for weekly allergy shots and paid the copay each time. I found out in December 2009 that the premiums weren't being paid and the kids didn't have health coverage effective October 1. I then found health insurance for the kids which retro'd back to December 1, 2009.

There is an outstanding balance of $399.59 with the allergist and an additional $124.56 from the doctor's office from October and November. He is listed as the responsible party with both offices. Can they collect this amount from me, or is it solely his responsibility?

He is currently in arrears on child support over $6,000 so I'm not in a financial position to pay this so that it doesn't go to collections and/or show up on MY credit report. My credit is currently excellent so I want to ensure this doesn't go against me.

If it isn't paid, it'll go against you. But, your children should be your concern. Get back to court and have that deadbeat brought back before the judge. And, if you don't want your credit ruined, make payment arrangements on the medical debt. Do that, and it won't go to collections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically he is not the responsible party..unless he brought the child in to each visit. The parent who brings the child in is the responsible party. The Dr's office should bill you. You can ask that they work wqith you on this but either you or Dad need to pay.

The doctor's office was the one who told me he is listed as the responsible party in their records. It was he who provided the insurance (under his name) and they had his billing address that they've always sent the bills to. I've always paid the copay and he was responsible for the health insurance premiums (which due to him not paying resulted in there being an outstanding fee).

I'm talking to an attorney about it - he's already deadbeat enough, he shouldn't catch another break for not following through on what he was legally obligated to do (pay the insurance premium).

Family court told my husbands ex wife to stop listing my husband as the responsible party. He did not bring the child in, he is NOT agreeing to the payments. If you are the CP you should not be doing this..the DR's office does not know court procedure. He did not agree to their terms so sure they can try to bill him but he can fight it, but it sounds like he is in contempt for not carrying the insurance anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back