Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Online Catfishing: Need INPUT

jeanoakman

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Georgia

I'm a male and made a fake account as a women on a social media site.

(Don't post real names. It isn't necessary to pose your question. One of the mods, AJ)

I didn't use a real name...just an initial and random last name. I also found the pics of a random women from google images.

A guy messaged me and asked if I wanted to hangout. I said sure and gave him a "pinger" #, which is a free fake phone number service anyone can use to text/call. Anyways...I told him to come and pick me up and gave him the address of the next apartment over from mine, which is vacant.

He ended up actually coming over to my surprise. I saw him knocking on the apartment door and yelling to "open up" but obviously no one answered. As he was walking back to his car...I started to taunt him from the fake phone number with these phrases: "hahaha" and "your such a loser". Never telling him I was a male or otherwise.

He told me that he was going to call the cops and press charges against me. About 20 mins later, cops were at the apartment that I had him go to and they were knocking on the door.

To be clear....I NEVER told him..I was actually a male. And other than calling him a loser...I didn't harass him. Also for reference...this person is well-known racist troll on this site and I just wanted to give him a taste of his own medicine.

So...I'm wondering what consequences I may have to face? If there is a case here.....

(I know police have to get a subpoena/warrant to find my identity through an IP Address...but I dont believe I provided any evidence that I "wasn't" who I said I was from the online profile.) I know what I did was wrong so please only serious input.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're arrested, which is highly unlikely, simply use your right to remain silent and request a lawyer.

Bear in mind, that even though an IP address can be traced to a certain address or electronic device, no one can prove that a specific person committed the dirty deed, unless the target blabs.

Time to make like a clam, and shut your shell.

Thank you army judge, your feedback/advice is greatly appreciated.

I was extremely surprised to see the police actually show up over such a insignificant dilemma (in the grand scheme of things). Especially being no evidence that I "wasnt" a women just ditching plans with a guy.

I'm not sure what the guy reported but would the police generally investigate and track my IP address given the information?

Thank you army judge, your feedback/advice is greatly appreciated.

I was extremely surprised to see the police actually show up over such a insignificant dilemma (in the grand scheme of things). Especially being no evidence that I "wasnt" a women just ditching plans with a guy.

I'm not sure what the guy reported but would the police generally investigate and track my IP address given the information?

The police could do many things, if they had unlimited funding and staffing.
They have neither, so they limp along fighting and responding to real crime.

If the cops come a calling, simply decline to discuss any of this with them, and quickly request a lawyer, or say you refuse to speak without your lawyer being present.

Hard to know what the dude told the police, but if you say nothing, no one will ever know anything.
People that pull those pranks usually use proxies, visit coffee house, public libraries, or use free, public wifi and have certain cheap devices they use to troll.
They never use their own, personal devices.

Last edited:
While what you did may not be against the law, I have to ask, WHY??? :rolleyes:

I can only venture a guess as to what kind of deviant mind might enjoy this sort of game.

Are you 12? That is the only explanation I can come up with as to why you might even entertain the notion that this was anything other than a stupid idea. If you are 12, your parents need to tae away your computer and phone until you learn to act like a mature human. If you are unfortunately a legal adult, I highly suggest counseling. It is beyond disturbing that any adult would plan and execute such an elaborate scheme as a "joke". This is not normal behavior.

Thank you guys very much for all your serious and negative input on my scenario.

To be perfectly honest....I targeted this certain gentleman only because he told my younger sister that he wished all black people would be locked inside dog cages and burned alive and then hung upside down in trees to be made an example of for other blacks. He also sent her pictures of his private parts.

Obviously I realize what I did was wrong and wont be doing that again anytime soon...but I guess...seeing my younger sister cry and having to explain racism to her got me very emotional and I reacted in a very erratic way.

Thanks again though...this site has been extremely helpful and I greatly appreciate all of your time and effort.

Back