One night stand

randomcitizen

I live in Washington currently, the papers are coming from Alaska. I had a regrettable one-night-stand about two years ago. She texted me later saying she was pregnant and later again saying she wouldn't ask for any money if I signed papers saying I would having nothing to do with the child. I lost contact with her before any of this happened. Now, two years later, I have just had to sign for a certified mail from Alaska Child Support saying they are filing for it. I am married and just had a baby 2 months ago. Wife quit her job to take care of it so I'm the main source of income. I see there is a check box for DNA testing, but there is a big chance he is mine. What should my first course be?

Sincerely,
John Doe

I live in Washington currently, the papers are coming from Alaska. I had a regrettable one-night-stand about two years ago. She texted me later saying she was pregnant and later again saying she wouldn't ask for any money if I signed papers saying I would having nothing to do with the child. I lost contact with her before any of this happened. Now, two years later, I have just had to sign for a certified mail from Alaska Child Support saying they are filing for it. I am married and just had a baby 2 months ago. Wife quit her job to take care of it so I'm the main source of income. I see there is a check box for DNA testing, but there is a big chance he is mine. What should my first course be?

Sincerely,
John Doe

You ALWAYS request DNA testing.
You might not be the father, so make sure you are the father, before you are obligated for 18 years to support a child that MIGHT not be yours.

If the mother has received state or federal services/benefits for the child, the state requires her to file.

At any rate, step by step, request the paternity test.
If the test proves you NOT to be the father, that ends it.
If it proves you to eb the father, the second chapter is convened, HOW MUCH YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PAY TO SUPPORT THE CHILD.

Step by step, inch by inch, take it slow, do it right!

You ALWAYS request DNA testing.
You might not be the father, so make sure you are the father, before you are obligated for 18 years to support a child that MIGHT not be yours.

If the mother has received state or federal services/benefits for the child, the state requires her to file.

At any rate, step by step, request the paternity test.
If the test proves you NOT to be the father, that ends it.
If it proves you to eb the father, the second chapter is convened, HOW MUCH YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PAY TO SUPPORT THE CHILD.

Step by step, inch by inch, take it slow, do it right!

Thank you for your helpful answer. I posted on another forum and all they did was barrage me for accidentally typing "it", which I apologize for. What do you mean by state or federal services? Like Alaska PFD?

Any type of help from a state or federal agcy. -- examples: income for child, food stamps for child, medical care for child etc.

It is VERY important you KNOW this is your child. If she had one night stand with you she could have with others around same time. Take the test. If child is yours you will be required to support child and likely pay back support

Thank you for your helpful answer. I posted on another forum and all they did was barrage me for accidentally typing "it", which I apologize for. What do you mean by state or federal services? Like Alaska PFD?

No worries, Betty gave you a proper definition of state or federal benefits.

So, take the DNA test (you won't have to study to pass it - LOL), and I bet you get lucky and find out. as Maury says, "John Doe, you are NOT the father!"

No, not the PFD. The PFD doesn't require information regarding the other parent of the child and doesn't involve Child Support Services. However, if she has applied for any of the forms of state/federal aid that Betty mentioned (public assistance, food stamps, etc.) she would be required to file with them.

I can't even begin to fathom why you didn't address this when the child was born, especially if you thought it was probably your child! You are now paying the price. Get tested to see if you are the father. If you are, the fact that you shirked responsibility after being informed of the pregnancy and hoped it would just go away is not going to help you any. Nor will it get you out of paying if the child is biologically yours.

Back