? on I-9 forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

newhere

Do employers have to have new employees fill out I-9 forms when they are hired? Is there a time limit for these to be filled out after the employee is hired?

What happens if a employer does not comply if this is a federal law?

Are there any other forms required by law for employers to have employees fill out when they are hired? I am in the State of Texas.

I was terminated by this employer and still have not received my final paycheck my date of termination was 7-7-08. Is there any reason why an employer would not have to issue this check? I will be sending in a wage claim did not want to have to but it has been over 17 days and still no check and feel employer is holding it back on purpose. I worked in the resort business.

Thank you.

Yes, an employer has to have an employee complete an I-9 within three days of the employee beginning work.

Technically, the employer could be fined in the amount of up to $1000 per incomplete form. In actual fact, this is a very low level priority for the Feds and it's quite likely that nothing will happen at all. So if your intent is to get your employer in trouble with the Feds to punish him for not paying you on time, you're going about it in the wrong way.

There are no other forms that are mandatory under the law. There are forms that should be completed but nothing that is mandatory.

In Texas, an employee that is involuntarily terminated must receive his final wages within 6 days. (An employee who quits must get his final pay by the next regular payday.) The proper recourse is a wage claim with the TWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back