Obtaining temporary guardianship

Abasso77

Jurisdiction
Utah
My parental rights were terminated and my ex- in-laws adopted my children. At this time both myself and the adopted parents (grandparents) have agreed that my daughter who is almost 15 could come stay with me for the summer. And after that will see about moving in with me and my fiance for good. First... Do we have to go to court to get temporary custody? Of can we get papers signed by notary? The biggest reason this is important is because we do not live in the same state so if there were a medical emergency I would need to be able to take her in. If this move does work out to be permanent what steps do we legally have to take?

My parental rights were terminated and my ex- in-laws adopted my children. At this time both myself and the adopted parents (grandparents) have agreed that my daughter who is almost 15 could come stay with me for the summer. And after that will see about moving in with me and my fiance for good. First... Do we have to go to court to get temporary custody? Of can we get papers signed by notary? The biggest reason this is important is because we do not live in the same state so if there were a medical emergency I would need to be able to take her in. If this move does work out to be permanent what steps do we legally have to take?

The offer may seem tempting, but I suggest you discuss the matter with a family law attorney in your state.

A notarized letter you'll find is almost useless.
In most states, a child can't even be enrolled in school.
You'll need much more than a notarized letter.
The child is no longer related to you by operation of law.
I suggest you slow down, because if you proceed, the child's parents could reap some blowback over this little scheme.

You definitely need a lawyer's help.

Back