Not a legal issue per se, just looking for some insight on how I should handle this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

Xanadu

Jurisdiction
Virginia
A month ago I requested this past weekend after superbowl for a family get together. My sister just had a baby and he's about 3 weeks old now. The old manager is no long with us, but despite him oking it the new manager didn t tell me I couldn t have the weekend off.

Just because I ordered pizza from my store for the family get together I was treated as if I only asked for the weekend off to play hooky from work. After ordering the Pizza, the temp manager contacted me asking me if I was available. I simply replied no, I'm busy with family and that same reason is why I requested the weekend off. Despite this I continued getting calls from the temp manager over the weekend, I just ignored them after the first call.

I came in Monday to find my hours were drastically slashed, so I contacted my old store manager and he told me to contact his father, the District Manager. I sent him a quick text detailing how my hours were cut due to not volunteering to come in on the days off I was granted by his son.

I returned to my store a few hours later, and the manager who cut my hours popped out of the back to tell me that there was a major mix-up and that the schedule would be re-made. Immediately after telling me this, he proceeds to yank my personal cell phone out of my hand to look at the schedule I took a picture of (It was less than 1 foot away on the wall) and proceeded to flip through my photos until he found one of me holding my newborn nephew. He just nervously laughed and handed the phone back.

I was called in yesterday and showed up (As I do 99% of the time I am called in) and found that the schedule was re-made but I was only given one 5 hour shift aside from the 6-7 hours I worked yesterday. I am a full time employee and prior to this weekend I averaged 30-40 hours per week. The DM is on vacation in the Bahamas so aside of making a quick phone call to the temp manager who cut my hours there's not a lot he can do right now.

Around midnight last night I noticed my FB messenger app was dinging indicating I have a new message. Turns out another driver from the home store that my temp manager works decided to take it upon herself to contact me, telling me I have no right to be mad about my hours being cut, and that I'm still new and have a lot to learn. I took a screenshot of this harassing message I received and saved it.

I'm wondering if I should wait it out a bit longer before going to HR or just start looking for a new job. As far as I know there are no laws being broken here, but coming from someone who is almost 30 I'm not taking kindly to being cornered into quitting by a bunch of college kids.

Sorry but it is totally legal to cut your hours for refusing to come in when called and or refusing to take their calls. Regardless of age, when you are the newbie, it is common to go to you to fill in first.

" but coming from someone who is almost 30 I'm not taking kindly to being cornered into quitting by a bunch of college kids." This comment leads me to say this may not be the best working environment for you even if you were to resolve the current scheduling situation. In addition, any time a person goes over and around their manager, it doesn't lead to a good working relationship.
I don't really see any benefit in going to HR. Might be best to start looking elsewhere.

I'm wondering if I should wait it out a bit longer before going to HR or just start looking for a new job.

Start looking for a new job. HR works for the bosses. Doing an end run will only make things worse for you.

coming from someone who is almost 30 I'm not taking kindly to being cornered into quitting by a bunch of college kids.

How ironic. When I was in my 50s I had the same attitude toward people in their 30s who were my bosses. :D

I likewise don't see much value in going HR, but it's not because "HR works for the bosses" but because HR doesn't like playing kindergarten playground monitor. This is one time I agree with Jack - going to HR is not your best move here. It's not their job to make everyone play nicely in the sandbox together. You're adults - you're supposed to be able to settle disputes without HR/Mommy yelling at the bad people for you. There was no illegal harassment here and no laws/ protected rights were violated. You will not be doing yourself any favors by whining to HR OR your DM about how badly you were treated. You didn't exactly cover yourself with glory in your behavior yourself.

Looks like I won't have to do anything, one of the college kids did it all for me.

Same girl who sent me a message last night tracked me down on a FB delivery driver group and decided to call me out.

40k some odd members in that group and she thinks it's a good idea to bring up the topic with me but also gave out our store number and names of people involved. Checkmate, it's been screen shotted and will be used for ammunition against those trying to oust me.

Sure, if you LIKE painting a target on your back.

Do you REALLY think this is going to make you look GOOD to your employer?

It's obvious I've had a target on my back. However I'm not the type to back down, I'm more than happy to drag as many down with me as possible.

I've done this dance before so I know how it goes. A few years back my manager at another job found out about my mental illness and cut my hours and shared info with customers and co-workers which led to constant harassment.

After 3 months of going back and forth between the DM, HR and a lawyer the DM was shipped off to another district and my store manager got demoted to a minimum wage cashier.

I don't play games, but if I get dragged into one I play for keeps.

Well you came here asking for advice and you've gotten it. But it seems like you had already made up your mind to handle it your way. Best of luck to you.

Looks like I won't have to do anything, one of the college kids did it all for me.

Same girl who sent me a message last night tracked me down on a FB delivery driver group and decided to call me out.

40k some odd members in that group and she thinks it's a good idea to bring up the topic with me but also gave out our store number and names of people involved. Checkmate, it's been screen shotted and will be used for ammunition against those trying to oust me.
Technically what she did was entirely legal. Not only was it legal, but it is legally protected conduct under the NLRA. I'm not sure what you think you hope to accomplish but it is more likely to backfire on you than her.

Technically what she did was entirely legal. Not only was it legal, but it is legally protected conduct under the NLRA. I'm not sure what you think you hope to accomplish but it is more likely to backfire on you than her.

She doesn't know that :D

And you don't know that she doesn't know that.

I do know that I am tired of listening to you behave like an eight year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back