non-compete

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiev

I signed a non-compete agreement when hired as a maid for a cleaning Co. in PA. I worked there for about 2yrs then quit about 6 months ago to work for a family landscaping Co. Since landscaping is seasonal, I decided to take on a few cleaning jobs to supplement my income during the slow period. I passed out some flyers and put some up in local stores.
When my ex-employers discovered this, they sent me a letter reminding me of the non-compete and told me to cease and desist or further action would be taken.
Following is the clause in it's entirety:

I, the undersigned understand during my employment and for a period of 2yrs. after my termination that I shall not, directly or indirectly, for myself or on behalf of or in conjunction with any other person, partenership or corporation, own, maintain, engage in, participate or have any interest in the operations of a similar competing business. Similar business meaning cleaning Service, Maid Service, Janitorial Service, Carpet Cleaning Service, and Floor Cleaning Service....

Is this enforceable? Shouldn't there be a geographical area specified? They didn't teach me to clean. You can buy how-to books and get alot of info online (cleaning products,
business tips, etc.). There are no trade secrets. I have had no contact with any of their customers since I left and have no intentions of doing so.
I'm not sure what to do. Should I respond to their letter? Should I ignore them, continue looking for cleaning jobs and make them try to enforce this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back