non compete and harrasment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindyw

I worked in the education industry private sector. My employer had me sign a 3 year no compete clause with the threat of termination if we didn't sign. I quit one year ago due to the hostile work environment after signing the contract. My former employer continues to email me, accusing me of breaking my contract and threatening to sue me. Now she has a new tactic...she has invited me to lunch to "put everything out on the table." How do I make her leave me alone? And how legal is a three year no compete in the education industry? I was told that only one year would hold up in court if that. I would like to work in this field without fear of retaliation as soon as possible. When is this safe? How much would it cost me to hire an attorney to get something in writing?

Okay, two things.

First, a hostile work environment has a VERY specific meaning under the law. Can you explain further?

Second, we can't see your agreement so we really can't tell whether it would or wouldn't be enforceable.

1. How does the law describe hostile?
2. "during the term of this agreement and any extension hereof, and for a period of three years, and within 100 miles following the expiration or earlier termination of this agreement, employee shall not, without the prior written consent of __
a. attempt to cause any employee,(including student) to end its employment, or relationship with __
b. engage any person who was an employee, or client of corporation during the term of this agreement to become associated with the employee or with any other person, or partnership or other entity with which employee may thereafter become associated.
c. the parties acknowledge that any violation of any of the provisions of this section shall cause irreparable loss and harm to the corporation which cannot be reasonably or adequately compensated by damages in an action at law, that the corporation shall be entitled, without posting bond or other security, to injunctive blah blah shall be deemed to waive the right of the corporation to action for damages

Thanks for the responses, no how do I delete my thread so save my privacy? Soon please. I read on the FAQ to press the pencil picture to edit or delete, but there isn't one. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back