Neglect an mental abuse

N

Nicole321

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I am 17 years old, am I able to leave my home IF I tell my parent that I'm okay an that I'm stable and where I am at?
I don't want defac involved in to my home, but I can't take the neglect an stress anymore.

My "step dad" is bipolar . He always tells me no one likes me and always tells me I have no friends an that he doesn't give a crap about my feelings or how I feel. Everyone that comes around he cusses at. I stay in my room 24/7 depressed am crying all the time cause he yells an slams doors and things. Everyone is telling me to get out of there because they don't want me hurt. I work so I could provide for my self. I can get to an from school each day. I have amazing grades. I just don't want to waste no time with emancipation. I want out without getting in trouble for unruly because they know how bad I want to leave. But my mental health can't take him anymore. I pretty much but everything of mine now, I pay my truck payment, my phone payment an everything I need. I just need help with advice so I don't legally get in trouble

I am 17 years old, am I able to leave my home IF I tell my parent that I'm okay an that I'm stable and where I am at?
I don't want defac involved in to my home, but I can't take the neglect an stress anymore.

My "step dad" is bipolar . He always tells me no one likes me and always tells me I have no friends an that he doesn't give a crap about my feelings or how I feel. Everyone that comes around he cusses at. I stay in my room 24/7 depressed am crying all the time cause he yells an slams doors and things. Everyone is telling me to get out of there because they don't want me hurt. I work so I could provide for my self. I can get to an from school each day. I have amazing grades. I just don't want to waste no time with emancipation. I want out without getting in trouble for unruly because they know how bad I want to leave. But my mental health can't take him anymore. I pretty much but everything of mine now, I pay my truck payment, my phone payment an everything I need. I just need help with advice so I don't legally get in trouble

There are many rumors and myths as to when a 17 year old can leave the home of his or her parents.

The law s clear in all 50 states, tat is age 18. The age of 18 is when majority is bestowed upon a 17 year old. You legally become an adult.

That said, in some states, 17 year olds won't necessarily be rounded up and hauled back home, if the person were to encounter the police.

I ALWAYS advise EVERYONE to obey ALL of their laws.
OBEYING their laws keeps their LAW ENFORCERS off your back, and out of your business.

The parental units of ANY MINOR CAN seek the whereabouts of their charges and DRAG them back home. I don't suggest parents do that, because that, too, can cause trouble.

Emancipation takes far too long for a 17 year old to be granted the timely relief he or she seeks.

I suggest you talk to a health care professional about your life.
You could start by talking to your school counselor, maybe a school psychologist, or a family physician. There are community mental health centers that could offer you the help you so desperately seek.

I wish you the best, OP.

The law isn't equipped to solve most people's problems. In many cases, the legal system makes those problems worse.

What month and day do you become an adult (an 18 year old)?

Not all states have the age of majority set at 18. A couple set the age to 19 (like Alabama) and there is at least one that the age of majority is 21 (Mississippi).

Not all states have the age of majority set at 18. A couple set the age to 19 (like Alabama) and there is at least one that the age of majority is 21 (Mississippi).

Are you saying an 18 year old in Alabama, Mississippi, etc.. Can't vote, contract, get married, or move out of the home owned by poppy and mommy?

You need to wait until you are 18 to leave home or get your parents consent to leave before then.

Are you saying an 18 year old in Alabama, Mississippi, etc.. Can't vote, contract, get married, or move out of the home owned by poppy and mommy?
Pretty much. They can vote and get married without parental permission at 18, but that's about it. An 18 year old in Alabama cannot sign a contract. My daughter went to open a savings account when she was 18. The bank told her 'no, she was still a minor.'

Pretty much. They can vote and get married without parental permission at 18, but that's about it. An 18 year old in Alabama cannot sign a contract. My daughter went to open a savings account when she was 18. The bank told her 'no, she was still a minor.'

Banks know a great deal about finance, money, interest rates, and FDIC regulations.

Your daughter was misled. I suspect what she was told was a bank policy or rule, not Alabama law. If anything, a federally chartered bank would be required to accept the federal age of majority which is 18.

I don't know what a state chartered bank in Alabama is required to do.

How old must you be to open a bank account in Alabama? • /r/Alabama

Alabama Legal Ages Laws - FindLaw

Last edited:
Back