1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Need independent review ASAP & unsure of the process

Discussion in 'Employment, Labor, Work Issues' started by WheresTheEZbutton, Dec 12, 2019.

1. WheresTheEZbutton

WheresTheEZbutton Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Iowa
    I do have an attorney in a civil case versus my employer. However, new developments have caused some concern and I would like to obtain an independent review, possibly a second chair as this case has some complexities. Any advice given is appreciated on what I should do or recommendations. I could retain as a personal lawyer as I own some businesses as well. Nearing a state interview and have some real questions regarding the direction and implications thereafter under my current advisement.

2. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

The Iowa State Bar Association

3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

You are, of course, free to seek a second opinion from another attorney, but I'm unsure what sort of response you're expecting beyond that given that you've told us virtually nothing about your case or the reason for your concern.

4. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

This site does not make referrals.

5. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

I suggest you first have a discussion with your attorney before you attempt to hire another attorney.

The Canon of Ethics doesn't allow another attorney to consult with you absent the express consent of your current attorney.

Don yourself a great service and always speak openly wit the attorney you have retained before soliciting outside opinions.

Call your attorney's office and request an appointment to review your case and ask additional questions.

I hope things work out well for you.

6. flyingron

flyingron Active Member

Well, actually the wording used is that the new counsel should decline such an association if it is objectionable to the original counsel (who has not been dismissed).

However AJ's advice holds. You're going to need to let your existing counsel know you're going to someone for a second opinion. The code of ethics also states he isn't supposed to get bent out of shape over the matter (ok, that's my paraphrase :))