1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Need help getting father's name on granddaughters birth certificate in Florida

Discussion in 'Paternity Law & DNA Tests' started by Florida grandma, May 22, 2018.

  1. Florida grandma

    Florida grandma Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I saw a previous thread on this same topic. My granddaughter's father was killed in a motorcycle accident in North Carolina Father's day weekend last year. My daughter was supposed to move up there with the baby, they we're going to get married, and he was going to put his name on the birth certificate. Unfortunately, this didn't happen. His mother agreed and did a grandparent DNA test which proved what we already knew. He was her father. The problem we are having now is that there is not any paperwork geared towards this particular scenario. I've been to the courthouse and they can't even help. We've contacted lawyers and they want $5000 just to talk to us. I wish I had the $5000, but I don't. My daughter is a full-time student. Social security doesn't know how to handle this either as we were informed when we went into that office. At this point my gut is telling me to fill out the request to change birth certificate and send copies of his death certificate and the DNA results in with it. Does anyone have any other help? I know this isn't the first time this has happened and I don't understand why none of the government entities can give us information. Vital statistics sends us one place. Social security sends you another. Very frustrating. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    All (certainly MOST) of the answers you need you can receive by reading the information on the following threads.

    You won't need an attorney to help you with this.

    You'll just need to educate yourselves to make this easier.

    Your daughter can also visit any Social security Office and someone will help her with the process.

    She can even open her case by filing online, here, for free:

    Benefits Planner: Survivors | How You Apply | Social Security Administration

    The DNA test results will be of great value as you pursue your attempts to obtain Social Security benefits for your grandchild.

    How to Prove Paternity for Children's Social Security

    Code of Federal Regulations § 404.355


    How to Prove Paternity When the Father Is Deceased

    When is a surviving child entitled to child's insurance benefits? | moneyhop.SocialSecurityHop.com


Share This Page