Need help getting father's name on granddaughters birth certificate in Florida

Florida grandma

Jurisdiction
Florida
I saw a previous thread on this same topic. My granddaughter's father was killed in a motorcycle accident in North Carolina Father's day weekend last year. My daughter was supposed to move up there with the baby, they we're going to get married, and he was going to put his name on the birth certificate. Unfortunately, this didn't happen. His mother agreed and did a grandparent DNA test which proved what we already knew. He was her father. The problem we are having now is that there is not any paperwork geared towards this particular scenario. I've been to the courthouse and they can't even help. We've contacted lawyers and they want $5000 just to talk to us. I wish I had the $5000, but I don't. My daughter is a full-time student. Social security doesn't know how to handle this either as we were informed when we went into that office. At this point my gut is telling me to fill out the request to change birth certificate and send copies of his death certificate and the DNA results in with it. Does anyone have any other help? I know this isn't the first time this has happened and I don't understand why none of the government entities can give us information. Vital statistics sends us one place. Social security sends you another. Very frustrating. Any help is greatly appreciated.

All (certainly MOST) of the answers you need you can receive by reading the information on the following threads.

You won't need an attorney to help you with this.

You'll just need to educate yourselves to make this easier.

Your daughter can also visit any Social security Office and someone will help her with the process.

She can even open her case by filing online, here, for free:

Benefits Planner: Survivors | How You Apply | Social Security Administration

The DNA test results will be of great value as you pursue your attempts to obtain Social Security benefits for your grandchild.

How to Prove Paternity for Children's Social Security

Code of Federal Regulations § 404.355

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/link/port...ecurity-survivors-benefits-and-how-do-i-apply

How to Prove Paternity When the Father Is Deceased

When is a surviving child entitled to child's insurance benefits? | moneyhop.SocialSecurityHop.com

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf

Back