Need divorce advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zahrah

I've been separated from my husband close to 3 years now. I have been separated from him longer than I was living with him. I want a divorce but I live in New Jersey, I was married in Cleveland, OH and I don't know where he is (I have been told by friends in Cleveland he's living overseas). So, how would I go about filing a divorce. Can I file in the in the state I reside now?

The best advice one can give you is for you to consult with a divorce attorney to discuss your options.

I agree you will need a lawyer. If you have lived in New Jersey for a year or more, then you can file for divorce there. If the location of your husband is unknown, it may be possible to serve him by publication, or you may be able to divorce on grounds of desertion.

A lawyer would be a good idea, or an online preparation service. My friend used one, and she said it went quite smoothly.
They can help you even if you don't know where your spouse is. You do have to file in the state where you are a resident. You may want to do some research on your state's specific laws on divorce just to be sure you follow the regulations and everything is done correctly.
Pamela

Hey Pamela,

Where would I find one of those services you're referring to? You said your friend used one, do you have a link to the one she used? What exactly do they do?
I am in the process of starting a divorce. We both want it done fast and simple, we both agree (non contested) but we don't have the money or the time to waste with a lawyer.
I appreciate the info,
-B

Thank you everyone for your help. And thank you for the link presutin. I'm going to get started on this asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back