My sisters husband is asking for spousal support, he abused her for years...

Curiosity22

Jurisdiction
California
Hi everyone.
I will try to make this short. My sister was in an abusive relationship with her now separated husband. He would beat her so much that one day he ended up in jail for 3 days over it (I don't think that this is relevant?). Now, while they were married (which was for 26 years). He rarely worked he would do wood work here and there but mostly she worked. I think that she probably made about, $12,000 every year, maybe ending up at about $14,000 by the time they separated, which is under poverty. Well, they have been separated for 7 years now, she never filed for divorce but he recently did, he is now asking for spousal support. She is not making much more, a whopping $12.00 an hour. She takes care of our almost 80 year old dad. She doesn't have the means to pay that, because she is paying rent to dad, which is almost $1,300 plus, bills and food. She barely has any money left over to pay him spousal support.

He is currently getting disability of, $895.00 a month (the SOB!) and is wanting spousal support.

What are the chances that the judge will order her to pay spousal support? And lastly, is spousal support based on what the person was making while they were married? I would think so…?

Thank you much and sorry for the long paragraph.

Hi everyone.
I will try to make this short. My sister was in an abusive relationship with her now separated husband. He would beat her so much that one day he ended up in jail for 3 days over it (I don't think that this is relevant?). Now, while they were married (which was for 26 years). He rarely worked he would do wood work here and there but mostly she worked. I think that she probably made about, $12,000 every year, maybe ending up at about $14,000 by the time they separated, which is under poverty. Well, they have been separated for 7 years now, she never filed for divorce but he recently did, he is now asking for spousal support. She is not making much more, a whopping $12.00 an hour. She takes care of our almost 80 year old dad. She doesn't have the means to pay that, because she is paying rent to dad, which is almost $1,300 plus, bills and food. She barely has any money left over to pay him spousal support.

He is currently getting disability of, $895.00 a month (the SOB!) and is wanting spousal support.

What are the chances that the judge will order her to pay spousal support? And lastly, is spousal support based on what the person was making while they were married? I would think so…?

Thank you much and sorry for the long paragraph.

Let me be brief.

I've seen several bums and deadbeats similarly situated as your delightful deadbeat BIL, ask for spousal support, and not one ever got it.

Will your deadbeat BIL get support?

No one can ever guess what judge or jury will do.

I'd wager a buck or two, that this old stallion may start the race, in the end he will fail to place!

One final comment, advise your sister to cross-claim for spousal support from her lazy, abusive, soon to be former husband.

That oughta heat things up.

Back