My salary was partially taken by employer without my knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayed

Jurisdiction
British Columbia
I worked on a research project at a university and my salary was paid by a research company to the university. I recently found out that my supervisor at the university has only paid a portion of my salary to me. In fact, he has kept a significant portion of my salary without my knowledge. I reached out to the` chair of the department and he agreed to pay the rest of money to me. However, I want university to punish this employee for his misconduct too. However, it seems that the university HR is covering his ass although I have provided undeniable evidence to them. I have two questions:
1) Is this a crime when your employer steals a portion of your salary?
2) What is a good way of following up on this issue? Can I file a law suit in court against my supervisor/university?
I should emphasize that the university has agreed to pay the robbed money back to me but I want both my money and an appropriate punishment for this employee.
Thank you

Sorry - this forum is for US law matters only.

1) Is this a crime when your employer steals a portion of your salary?
2) What is a good way of following up on this issue? Can I file a law suit in court against my supervisor/university?
I should emphasize that the university has agreed to pay the robbed money back to me but I want both my money and an appropriate punishment for this employee.

Jeez, get off your high horse. Are you 12? Nobody stole anything from you. The money was there and you are getting it. There's no evidence that any crime has been committed. Could have just been an administrative mix-up or something.

Sure, you can sue. But you'd look awfully stupid doing it. And wouldn't win. Lawsuits are not made to punish people for pissing you off.

Grow up.

Thank you!
I didn't want to write a lengthy case here and only explained it very briefly. In fact, my employer did steal a portion of my salary, intentionally. My salary had been approved by a research company and deposited to my supervisor's account to be paid to me in full. Once, I asked him to send me the document that indicates the amount of my salary, however, he refused to share it and said that "I am not comfortable with this request". It was at that point that I realized that something might be wrong and I reached out to the main company for clarification and they told me that your supervisor has this document and you should've asked him! They eventually provided me with the document and it was at that point that I realized that my supervisor has taken a portion of my salary and why he was not "comfortable" sharing the document with me. So, no it was not an administrative mistake and even university didn't attempt to pretend that it was a mistake to defend their employee…. Although university agreed to give the money back to me, I want him to be punished as well because I know as a fact that he took several thousands dollars from a student's pocket, and we all have civil duties when facing wrongdoers.

Sorry for the long post. I'd really appreciate if, instead of evaluating the accuracy of assumptions/claims or commenting on my personality, someone could kindly answer the question in my first post.

Thanks again

Last edited:
This website focuses ONLY on the laws of the US Federal government and it's various states and territories.

As suggested above you need to consult a legal practitioner in our neighbor to the north.

If you believe you were the victim of a crime (crimes), perhaps a report should be made to your local, provincial, or federal gendarmerie.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back