My mom misused my child support

Heysa1121

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hi my mom had been getting Child support when I was in seventh grade for $600 a month I am now 19 years old with no college fund, no vehicle nothing to show for the money my dad pay for me those months. My mom Blatantly admired to me that she used the money on beach trips and other stuff.. if there anything i can do? Can i sue her and her not go to jail.. i did the math and she would have been had 36,000 if she saved it for me.. can someone pls help me

You have no action against your mother.
Apparently you were housed, clothed, fed, and finished school. That is what the support money is for. It is not a college fund.
$600 per month doesn't go very far. Some day when you are working and have kids of your own you might understand mom may have actually done a good job making ends meet and providing for you.

Forget about suing her. That kind of thinking only serves to destroy your relationship with your family. You have no claim to and no say whatsoever in how child support money was spent.

I am now 19 years old with no college fund, no vehicle nothing to show for the money my dad pay for me those months.

If only I could express in words how hard I want to laugh at this. Child support is not intended to serve as a college fund or provide luxuries when you are an adult. Child support is designed to offset how much the custodial parent has to pay to raise a child. Were you ever homeless as a child? If not, that's because your father paid child support. Did you have clothes to wear and food to eat? If so, it's because your father paid child support. Of course, I'm sure your mother also paid for these things, but that's the point. Both parents share in these expenses equally.

My mom Blatantly admired to me that she used the money on beach trips and other stuff.

Probably because she was annoyed by your selfishness and ungratefulness.

if there anything i can do?

I'm sure you can do lots of things.

Can i sue her and her not go to jail.

What a bizarre question. Why would you think suing her might result in you going to jail? Of course, anyone can sue anyone for anything. If you were to sue your mother, your lawsuit would be summarily dismissed, and you'd run the risk of being sanctioned by the court for filing a frivolous lawsuit.

i did the math and she would have been had 36,000 if she saved it for me.

Well...that's true. Unfortunately, she probably needed to spend the money to pay rent and utilities and for food and clothing and school supplies. News flash: raising a teenager is expensive. $36k over five years is a pittance.

It never fails to astound me how many spoiled, selfish brats believe that every penny of the child supports is supposed to go to, or at least be spend directly, on them.

What a bizarre question. Why would you think suing her might result in you going to jail? Of course, anyone can sue anyone for anything. If you were to sue your mother, your lawsuit would be summarily dismissed, and you'd run the risk of being sanctioned by the court for filing a frivolous lawsuit.
I think she was asking that if she sued her mom, would her mom go to jail. She obviously doesn't understand how lawsuits work.

Hi my mom had been getting Child support when I was in seventh grade for $600 a month I am now 19 years old with no college fund, no vehicle nothing to show for the money my dad pay for me those months. My mom Blatantly admired to me that she used the money on beach trips and other stuff.. if there anything i can do? Can i sue her and her not go to jail.. i did the math and she would have been had 36,000 if she saved it for me.. can someone pls help me

Child support isn't for a college fund. Or a vehicle. She also does not have to show your dad what she spent the money on.

Were you housed? Clothed? Fed? Were all your basic needs met? Then she did not 'misuse" the child support. It goes to the custodial parent for a reason.

You can sue her - but you won't get too far with it because the money is not owed to you.

Again child support is to take care of the child. Child support was your dad's part of what it would have cost if he had still been in the home. It isn't for college funds or cars.

How about you put your big person pants on and figure out how to pay for college yourself like many other people do? I didn't have a college fund. I didn't get a car. My dad helped a little my freshman year. The rest I did on my own with loans and grants. Then I joined the Army after I graduated college and still in now.

You could try that -the military will pay for college. Tuition Assistance and GI Bill.

Back