My husband wants to adopt my daughter

M

MrsG

Jurisdiction
Nevada
Hi there, my husband wants to adopt my daughter who will be 12 in May. Her biological dad hasn't been in her life for the past 3 years. He also has never paid any court ordered child support ( i know my fault for not going after him) He also has been in and out of rehabs her whole life. She wants my husband to adopt her and legally change her name so that we are a complete family. How to I go about doing this without costing a small fortune???

Hi there, my husband wants to adopt my daughter who will be 12 in May. Her biological dad hasn't been in her life for the past 3 years. He also has never paid any court ordered child support ( i know my fault for not going after him) He also has been in and out of rehabs her whole life. She wants my husband to adopt her and legally change her name so that we are a complete family. How to I go about doing this without costing a small fortune???

You should start your quest by discussing it with three or four local family law attorneys.

Don't worry, the first visit is offered at no charge.
You'll have about 15-30 minutes to ask your questions.

All I'll add is that the quest you inquired about won't be cheap or quick.

How to I go about doing this without costing a small fortune???

That's easy. Do it yourself (without a lawyer) if you can figure out how.

Here's the statute that addresses the adoption of children:

NRS: CHAPTER 127 - ADOPTION OF CHILDREN AND ADULTS

Once you have learned the law, check out the Clark County Probate Court website. Start with the Infosheet for Step Parent adoption procedures and then review the required forms:

Forms - Clark County Probate Court

If you are not in Clark County you may be able to find similar forms and instructions on your own county's Probate Court website.

Back