Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft my friend and i were charged with petty theft. need help badly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

highlandninja

my friend and i both took 2 ps2s (we each took one) at costco. total was around $219 each.

when we were leaving, we got detained and security took us and cuffed us.

they wrote up a report and took our pictures and the police came, re-cuffed us and took us down to the station.

after some paperwork, we were released and was set on a court date of next month.

i'm really shocked, confused and mad at the same time. this is our first time being caught and i have no idead what is going to happen to us.

one of the officer said since this is our first time offense, its like a slap on the wrist and the worst that can happen to us is a fine.

i dont know wheter to plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. i've read its best to plead not guilty or no contest but i was wondering how should i back it up?

i'm really worried about this being on my record. so far i've heard about infractions and diversion programs and community service, but are we even qualified for that?

i'm also worried about the fine. i'm unemployed and i was wondering how can i handle this dilemma without spending too much money.

i've also heard its best to find a public defender and a lawyer. does it cost anything for the service of a public defender?

one last thing, is this considered being arrested? we didnt spend anytime in jail at all.

Are you a minor? If you are, this changes everything.

And yes, public defenders cost money.

You were brought to the police station, so yes, you were arrested. I was given a "misdemeanor summons" at the store and released, which, even though I wasn't taken anywhere, is still considered an arrest.

Same situation for me but I only got $26 worth while my friend got about $95... Anyway we're minors though, is it best to just go ahead and plead guilty?

All you guys should invest in the fee for at least a consultation by a lawyer, if not for representation. While the actual fine or sentence might not look so bad, you all seem to be young. A criminal record at this stage of your life can cost you much more than the fines or the costs for a lawyer. An attorney might be able to to find ways to have charges dismissed or reduced which could affect your records. It might be money wisely spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back