My ex girlfriend/ex roommate broke an agreement

nowayout

I been with my ex girlfriend/ex roommate for 4 years almost. I brought her a ring at Walmart. Then we got engaged. We went go to the county office and got a marriage license. We was going to get marry in 1-3 months. We was engaged 1-3 days. Then after that the problems we had with each other became worst. Adult protective services got involved was making a case against her and was going to take her jail. So my ex and I made agreement for me to go over my grandmother house for short time until the problems calm down and/or the case is close. And we had to look like I moved over to grandmother house. So my ex wouldn't go to jail. I took a bag and some things over to my grandmother house to make it look like a moved. I have a wittness to we all made that agreement. So I saved her from going to jail for a long time. Once I get to my grandmother house not long after that she broke the agreement. And she said I abandon her and I did abandonment. My ex said I couldn't come back. She broke the agreement. And left me stranded. I was forced to move in to my grandmothers house. The wittness got the rest of my things brought it over to my grandmother house. My ex didn't give back me all of my things and kept my mail and said it was junk mail. My mail wasn't junk mail. And she also kept the ring and didn't give it back. What advice you have? And What can I do?

I been with my ex girlfriend/ex roommate for 4 years almost. I brought her a ring at Walmart. Then we got engaged. We went go to the county office and got a marriage license. We was going to get marry in 1-3 months. We was engaged 1-3 days. Then after that the problems we had with each other became worst. Adult protective services got involved was making a case against her and was going to take her jail. So my ex and I made agreement for me to go over my grandmother house for short time until the problems calm down and/or the case is close. And we had to look like I moved over to grandmother house. So my ex wouldn't go to jail. I took a bag and some things over to my grandmother house to make it look like a moved. I have a wittness to we all made that agreement. So I saved her from going to jail for a long time. Once I get to my grandmother house not long after that she broke the agreement. And she said I abandon her and I did abandonment. My ex said I couldn't come back. She broke the agreement. And left me stranded. I was forced to move in to my grandmothers house. The wittness got the rest of my things brought it over to my grandmother house. My ex didn't give back me all of my things and kept my mail and said it was junk mail. My mail wasn't junk mail. And she also kept the ring and didn't give it back. Do I have a case? Can I sue her? And how much can I sue her for?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can stay away from the bullying, violent thug.
You can thank your lucky stars she didn't kill or cripple you.
You can also thank Cupid for showing you her true colors before you married that violent thug and she popped out three or four babies.
All in all, you're very lucky to be rid of that beast.

You may be a bit between a rock and a hard place. California law says that if an engagement ring is given in contemplation of marriage, if the marriage does not happen because the fiancée / recipient of the ring refuses to get married or both mutually agree not to get married, then the donor (the person giving the engagement ring to the other party) can recover the ring or even a part of its value based upon the circumstances of the case are and the court or jury finds is just and appropriate.

California Civil Code Section 1590. Where either party to a contemplated marriage in this State makes a gift of money or property to the other on the basis or assumption that the marriage will take place, in the event that the donee refuses to enter into the marriage as contemplated or that it is given up by mutual consent, the donor may recover such gift or such part of its value as may, under all of the circumstances of the case, be found by a court or jury to be just.

You can go to court, perhaps California Small Claims court. But I don't know exactly what you mean by living with your grandmother but not really in order to fool adult protective services that you were actually living at your grandmother's house when you weren't. If this a necessary part of the case to discuss, then it's not something you want to testify about in court under oath. A judge or jury may find that your intent to fool CPS or APS may not entitle you to use the power of the court to get the ring back. And then you may have to deal with the consequences of what you said - I don't know. Chances are that there is no easy way of getting the ring or its value back from your ex-fiancée, even if you win in court. You can try but this is the reality. Good luck and I agree with the others - you are probably so much better off without her.

It sounds to me like a matter worth leaving in the past and moving on.
Even if you sued and won, does she even have the means to pay? I'm betting not by the sound of things. Why go through the trouble if it will never amount to anything?

Back