My employer wants me to work for 2 days with out pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

beyer79

I was informed yesterday that I have to come into work on my only 2 days off and do something other then my job description here is the kicker He doesn't want to pay me at all for those 2 days..I was told I need to make some sacrifices and if I don't come in I was fired or as he claims he will assume that I quit.Is it legal for an employer force an employee to work with out pay? I don't know what to do I can't afford to lose my job..

I was informed yesterday that I have to come into work on my only 2 days off and do something other then my job description here is the kicker He doesn't want to pay me at all for those 2 days..I was told I need to make some sacrifices and if I don't come in I was fired or as he claims he will assume that I quit.Is it legal for an employer force an employee to work with out pay? I don't know what to do I can't afford to lose my job..

The smartest thing to do at the moment is report to work, as ordered.
Yes, it sucks, but for your sake do it!
If you can, try to get something in writing, indicating that you've been ordered to work for two days and will get no pay!

Now, you're asking, why should I do that?
Number one, you want to keep your job in this lousy economy.
Number two, do as I say, and you'll get paid (and then some).
Number three, never operate from a position of weakness.

So, suck it up for the next two days.
In the end, you're gonna get paid and then some.
You should also start looking for other employment.

Now, help me help you.
Don't give specifics, you never know who might be reading this.
What type of work do you perform?
Are you a manager or supervisor?
How long have you been so employed?
Are you full time or part time?
How frequently are you paid?
What is the nature of your employer's business?

(VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION) How many employees work at your place of business?

Last edited:
Its not really legal for him to ask you to do that. However, as Army says, do you really want to lose your job in a crappy economy? If he is only asking for 2 days of extra help, maybe you should consider it to help out the company. If it starts to be a regular thing, make an anonymous report to the labor department because he is not paying you for hours you are working.

She's right on employment by the way! Patricia rocks employment law, I usually stay away from it because I know she is going to show me up! Ok CBG also knows his stuff. Pass the Joy around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back