My employer says that I resigned, but I didn't!

anne21703

I have been the music director of my church for 2.5 years. It is a job with high expectations and extraordinarily low pay, but also one which I have enjoyed and viewed as a ministry more than a job. About a year ago there were some personnel changes in leadership that resulted in a lot of difficulties for the music program and for me as I worked there; primarily budget issues and lack of support for our work. On May 11th I sent a letter addressing these concerns to the vestry (like a board of directors) of our church. I had every expectation of that letter opening a conversation regarding how to address those concerns as we moved forward. Instead, on May 26th I and the entire church congregation received a letter from the vestry informing of my resignation. I was shocked. Nothing in my letter says that I resigned. On the contrary, my final paragraph talked about "going forward" and "serving the church together".

I replied to the vestry that I had absolutely not resigned, and had no intention of resigning. I said that if they wanted to end my employment, they needed to do so formally with a termination letter, not a notice of my non-existent "resignation".

Their response said "we must accept your stated intention to terminate your role of Music Director."

Again, I have NEVER said that, in writing or verbally.

Of course at this point I don't think it would really be possible to continue in the position! But I do want them to be honest and aboveboard and follow the law. Do I have recourse? Can they really just *say* that I resigned, even though I didn't? Am I still legally employed since I have not resigned, nor received a formal termination letter? Is this a situation where a letter from an attorney would get results since they aren't listening to me at all?

Thank you for any assistance.

I think it's safe to say that you are no longer employed there and a formal termination letter is not required. Hopefully you kept a copy of the letter you sent to them to support your position if need be with the unemployment office. Apparently they read something else into your letter than your intent, or they collectively chose to interpret it that way. They also may have thought it would better for you to present it to the church as a resignation rather than say they fired you.

I'm not sure what you expect to accomplish with an attorney except to force them to say they fired you. You can file for unemployment and state your case and present your evidence without the cost of an attorney.

I have been the music director of my church for 2.5 years. It is a job with high expectations and extraordinarily low pay, but also one which I have enjoyed and viewed as a ministry more than a job. About a year ago there were some personnel changes in leadership that resulted in a lot of difficulties for the music program and for me as I worked there; primarily budget issues and lack of support for our work. On May 11th I sent a letter addressing these concerns to the vestry (like a board of directors) of our church. I had every expectation of that letter opening a conversation regarding how to address those concerns as we moved forward. Instead, on May 26th I and the entire church congregation received a letter from the vestry informing of my resignation. I was shocked. Nothing in my letter says that I resigned. On the contrary, my final paragraph talked about "going forward" and "serving the church together".

I replied to the vestry that I had absolutely not resigned, and had no intention of resigning. I said that if they wanted to end my employment, they needed to do so formally with a termination letter, not a notice of my non-existent "resignation".

Their response said "we must accept your stated intention to terminate your role of Music Director."

Again, I have NEVER said that, in writing or verbally.

Of course at this point I don't think it would really be possible to continue in the position! But I do want them to be honest and aboveboard and follow the law. Do I have recourse? Can they really just *say* that I resigned, even though I didn't? Am I still legally employed since I have not resigned, nor received a formal termination letter? Is this a situation where a letter from an attorney would get results since they aren't listening to me at all?

Thank you for any assistance.

What would Jesus do?

What would Jesus do?

What would Jesus do?

What would Jesus do?

Based on what you posted, I don't see any law your employer broke. You need to look for other employment & file for unemployment ins.

Back